VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anybody use these disks? They are the only ones I have in the house and I've burned 3 vcds and don't have a picture or sound on any of them? After Nero gets done, it says it was successfully burned, but I have nothing. Is it the disk or have I done something wrong? I've tried 2 different movies, just in case it was something in the first one that I downloaded.

Thanks

Suz
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what speed did you burn them at? i've seen this happen with certain discs on certain burners if burned at speeds greater than 4X. try burning at 2X.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could you be more precise please:

When you say no picture no sound, does the VCD play though showing a time stamp? Does the DVD PLayer actually accept the CD-R? Does a message appear "bad CD", "no disk" or something else?

If you are concerned that Nero might not be placing your VCD files in the correct way, try burning an image file.

Download the VCDImagerGui from this website and make a bin/cue file. This file you burn in Nero under "burn image".
    Quote Quote  
  4. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-07-05 08:50:48, hitechjunkie wrote:
    what speed did you burn them at? i've seen this happen with certain discs on certain burners if burned at speeds greater than 4X. try burning at 2X.
    </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

I did one at 1x, one at 4x and one at 8x. Should I try the 2x?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh, by the way. you'll probably see others post that they use those discs and burn at 8X, 10X, 12X speeds with no problem, but do not offer any suggestions. ignore them and try to remember that it is the combination burner/disc/software/reader which makes it unique for everyone, even when it appears everything is identical. just find what works for your set up and stick with it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-07-05 08:57:13, aldus4 wrote:
    Could you be more precise please:

>>>>When you say no picture no sound, does the VCD play though showing a time stamp? Does the DVD PLayer actually accept the CD-R? Does a message appear "bad CD", "no disk" or something else.

It does accept the disk and it shows the time running on the player, but nothing shows on the TV.

>>>If you are concerned that Nero might not be placing your VCD files in the correct way, try burning an image file.

I don't know what I'm concerned with<G> I'm just learning all this stuff, but I thought I had figured it out. I decoded with TMPGEnc and then burned with Nero. I have no idea how to burn an image file. What will that show me and how do I do it?

>>>>Download the VCDImagerGui from this website and make a bin/cue file. This file you burn in Nero under "burn image".

I'm thinking I'm getting in way over my head here

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Suz on 2001-07-05 09:04:54 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sounds like its not the burning speed, then. as aldus ask, list each component used in the burning/playing process. burner, software, player, and the specific symptoms. also, specify the type of VCD (XVCD, SVCD etc.). maybe the player (if its a standalone) does not play/read it. do you see any files/folders on the disc when you look at it with Windows Explorer?
    Quote Quote  
  8. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-07-05 08:58:54, hitechjunkie wrote:
    >>>>oh, by the way. you'll probably see others post that they use those discs and burn at 8X, 10X, 12X speeds with no problem, but do not offer any suggestions. ignore them and try to remember that it is the combination burner/disc/software/reader which makes it unique for everyone, even when it appears everything is identical. just find what works for your set up and stick with it.

Thanks...had hoped a few people would just say they don't work and to go get another brand. Thought maybe they were the cause of my problem.

Suz
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>It does accept the disk and it shows the time running on the player, but nothing shows on the TV. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

this happens to me when i create an SVCD and try playing it on my standalone. just means it doesn't support/play SVCD.

- did you create an SVCD with TMPGEnc?

try a VCD instead...
    Quote Quote  
  10. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-07-05 09:05:25, hitechjunkie wrote:
    >>>>sounds like its not the burning speed, then. as aldus ask, list each component used in the burning/playing process. burner, software, player, and the specific symptoms. also, specify the type of VCD (XVCD, SVCD etc.). maybe the player (if its a standalone) does not play/read it. do you see any files/folders on the disc when you look at it with Windows Explorer?

I have an HP9150 burner. Used TMPGENc with the divx-311 alpha codec to decode. Burned with Nero at 352x240 @ 29.97fps for VCD. I have the Apex500W player. Will check the disk to see if there are any folders.
    Quote Quote  
  11. [quote]
    On 2001-07-05 09:11:49, Suz wrote:
    [quote]
    On 2001-07-05 09:05:25, hitechjunkie wrote:
    >>> do you see any files/folders on the disc when you look at it with Windows Explorer?

On the disk I have a VCD folder and in that folder there are these files: Entries.vcd, info.vcd,lot.vcd, and psd.vcd
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    that fact that the clock displays elapsed time on your standalone as you play it, indicates that it sees something and tries to play it, so there is something on the disc.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't want to seem pedantic, but are you sure you are watching the correct AV channel on your TV? Just to make sure put in a DVD. Does nothing at all appear? Have you got a PBC button on your remote? If so, try pressing it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use the Prime Periphearals and the PNY ones, and all has been great. I had an audio issue before with Nero (when you had a straight stereo VCD if you scanned, you lost the audio track) However, now I do the clips in Joint_stereo. This has been very good. Since that adjustement I have had no issues.
    Also, in Nero make sure you burn at the lowest speed (that also was an issue, anything higher than a 4 on some burners f'd up). Mine is an HP 8100, and I always burn at 1x.

<Spidey>
    ~~~Spidey~~~

"Gonna find my time in Heaven, cause I did my time in Hell........I wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well......" - The Man - Keef Riffards
    Quote Quote