VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i want to do a test and have been looking at 'overlay' and its parameter 'opacity' but am seeing other ways to possibly do the same thing.

i'm used to building layers in video software like resolve, final cut, premiere, etc. in those i'd put a clip on each track, all starting at the same time and set the opacity as follows:

track 1 (bottom) = 100%
    track 2 = 50%
    track 3 = 33.33%
    track 4 = 25%
    track 5 = 20%
    etc.

been doing a lot in avisynth lately and would just as soon stick with it for this test rather than having to start a project especially for it in some editor. but what would be the best way to do this in avisynth and what would the command look like?

thanks,
    babag
    Quote Quote  
  2. Overlay is one way to do it, but I don't know if it's the "best" .

Code:
    Overlay(Overlay(Overlay(Overlay(track1, track2, opacity=0.5), track3, opacity=0.3333), track4, opacity=0.25), track5, opacity=0.2)
    am seeing other ways to possibly do the same thing.
    Which other ways ?
    maybe mt_merge ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    overlayplus and layer. overlay seemed the main way to go but the others made me think there might be more and better ways others would use.

thanks for the example!
    babag
    Quote Quote  
  4. overlayplus adds more blend modes

What were you thinking of in terms of "better" ? Better in what way ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    nothing specific, really. i'm just not very good with avisynth and feel like whenever i come up with something someone on here comes up with something i'd no idea about. i guess maybe i'm starting to wise up and ask first.
    Quote Quote  
  6. One difference to be aware of in overlay is most NLE's, compositing applications will always do the compositing in RGB, even with YUV capable timelines (like Premiere). Avisynth can do the overlay in YUV , with YUV assets , or RGB if you convert them to RGB. The math is slightly different when doing it in YUV, so you might get slightly different results when comparing to other programs.

In terms of "better" speed, mt_merge is supposed to be faster (using mask control layer to control the opacity), but on a 5 layer test, overlay was significantly faster for me, but YMMV
    Quote Quote