VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, I am a middle school technology education teacher and looking for a software that could be useable by middle school students. I have recently been given a greenscreen, cfl lights and umbrellas, an HD camera and lapel mics that the school had from some project. I have two ideas of what I would like to use this equipment for but first need to find a software that will best fit my need.

First I would like to have software that 12 y/o could work with to do basic video production including chromakey.

Second (and I am sure more difficult) I would like to do a live morning news report. I am told the school has the equipment to display live video feed to all the classrooms via computer/projector. So I would like to try to find a program that we can do a morning announcements with weather, school updates, etc. using the green screen live. Does this sound feasible? would I need other equipment like some sort of mixer board or could everything be controlled from a computer?

I am pretty quick to pick up software and have experience with a wide range of programs for example; imovie, photoshop, illustrator, AutoCAD, Inventor, etc. So I am not to worried about learning software although Ideally would like to have it run by the kids, But I am new to chromakey and any live video work.

Thanks for any help
    -Matt
    Last edited by mmcguire; 16th Oct 2013 at 22:05.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't mean to sound critical but aren't you pushing these 12 year old kids a bit? You are asking them to learn stuff that takes pros years to learn.

Also, your thread title doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe a more descriptive title for your thread would look better.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for your reply. I will try to clarify a bit. For the work that the students will be doing will be a short 1-3 minute video that they make with a group hopefully using green screen for a scene of it. I would be looking for something along the lines of what I found here on a quick search (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JmnCWundts)

For morning news reports with the greenscreen, it will more be for the students to be able to do the announcements more then them creating I live production. I know I will be doing most of the production but would like to have several good kids have a part.

I will update the title.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  4. So you will be doing most of the editing and not this: "First I would like to have software that 12 y/o could work with to do basic video production including chromakey. "

As a teacher, will you actually have the time to do that?

Are you looking for software or will school provide it for you? You can spend gobs of money on software or just use the free Windows Movie Maker and use XML scripts to do the chroma key stuff. Here is a link to do it: http://www.wikihow.com/Chroma-Key-in-Windows-Movie-Maker
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Frankly, I'm glad that I'm not in your class trying to do what you want to do.

There may be a few kids who technically could do your wishes but the rest of the class gets left behind with the dumb dumb I don't know look.

Give the equipment away.

That's my opinion.
    Quote Quote  
  6. bendixG15 - Middle school technology education and that suppose to be too advanced? This is basic, just hook up some equipment, camera and basic editor, load video and using one effect, cut the video, export.

If Movie Maker fails you can get Vegas Movie Studio, there is 20 or 30 day trial so you can use it before purchase if this would go nowhere.

For live situations I believe there is other softwares.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, go hook up the equipment, software and so on.....good luck................
    Quote Quote  
  8. Oh come on, 12 year olds are smarter than the rest of us with technology.

The real issue as I see it is trying to do this live, there are a few sketchy low-cost options, otherwise you need a switcher, either hardware or software -- things like wirecast (not a recommendation either way -- I've never used it.)

For pre-recorded almost any NLE can do this now. Vegas Movie Studio, mentioned above is a good low-price choice.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might do well to survey the students and get an idea of the level of interest in doing what you want to do. Undoubtedly, you will get some who are gung ho, some who are mildly interested and others who couldn't care less. I have a 14 year old who really likes the intros for video game walkthrus posted on YouTube, but he does not share the same passion for video editing that I do.

Perhaps you can share some sample videos/clips that you can find online with your students that can also give them an idea of what you'd like to do.

As far as editing software, Sony, Adobe and Corel offer some editing packages that won't break the bank. Try downloading trial versions to see which suits you best.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    So you will be doing most of the editing and not this: "First I would like to have software that 12 y/o could work with to do basic video production including chromakey. "

As a teacher, will you actually have the time to do that?

Are you looking for software or will school provide it for you? You can spend gobs of money on software or just use the free Windows Movie Maker and use XML scripts to do the chroma key stuff. Here is a link to do it: http://www.wikihow.com/Chroma-Key-in-Windows-Movie-Maker

The students will be doing the editing for their group videos similar to videos that I posted the link to. What I would be doing is the live morning news if something like that was at all feasible. I am not worried at all about the students being able to handle basic video editing using movie maker or similar software.

During the normal school day I do not have time for it, but I am often at school 2-3 hours after the end of the day working on stuff for the class. So I do find the time for it because I enjoy teaching the students hands-on real world skills and learning as I do it as well.
    For right now I am mainly looking for my best free option I was thinking right now between movie maker or VSDC was wondering if there were any better options. If it works out I will look into budgeting in better software for next year.

Originally Posted by bendixG15 View Post
    Frankly, I'm glad that I'm not in your class trying to do what you want to do.

There may be a few kids who technically could do your wishes but the rest of the class gets left behind with the dumb dumb I don't know look.

Give the equipment away.

That's my opinion.

I am glad your not in my class. Ill bet you would be one sitting there with the "dumb dumb I don't know look" because you wouldn't even be willing to put in the effort to try to learn. I work with these kids every day and assure you they could do more than I wish for them to do. Kids today grow up in a world where they have been exposed to computers their whole lives. They are better on computers then they are with a pencil and paper. Give these kids a couple weeks, hell even days and they'll probably be able to do more technically then you can. Thanks for the advice to give away a new opportunity, but I think I will choose to stick with it.

I know all students would not be into the video editing which is partially the reason they would work in groups. Some students would be part of script writing, others filming, acting, editing, etc. They would all be able to have some exposure to video technology will working mainly in areas of higher interest.

I will look into the sony, adobe, corel, and vegas movie studio software.

For now it seems like the live news cast may not be very feasible for low cost but if anyone has any other possible options please share.
    In order to do a live report properly what equipment would be needed?

Thanks for the useful responses
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The student group idea sounds like a solid plan to me. Do you plan to perhaps have the students rotate from group to group?

I hope everything works well for you.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Frustrated Teacher
    I'm a middle school TA and my task is to prepare everything for the summer club of video editing: I will need to integrate green screens into my classroom. Then again:
    I have an issue with the current situation with homework online and quarantine: where can I find the tasks and assignments for filmmaking fundamentals course?
    Hi,
    You may use Touchcast, VSDC Free Video Editor or DoInk Green Screen. We also used WeVideo (2-3 years ago) for Chromebooks. I remember, some days ago, I came across some materials and lesson plans stored on Google Drive, so I can check.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As for the tasks: look for the "Motion pictures online film lesson plans" by Frank Baker, media educator.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    I don't mean to sound critical but aren't you pushing these 12 year old kids a bit? You are asking them to learn stuff that takes pros years to learn.

Also, your thread title doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe a more descriptive title for your thread would look better.
    exactly. agreed
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    I don't mean to sound critical but aren't you pushing these 12 year old kids a bit? You are asking them to learn stuff that takes pros years to learn.
    It's cool. Since this thread started they've all turned 19.
    Quote Quote