VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Been suggested DVD-Styler may help me

Posted this here, as I think it’s less likely I can achieve what I need with a DVD, has been suggested tomuse chapters for the episodes, but would prefer not, as they are already created , extracted from the original video.

Need create a DVD ( or if not Blu-ray ) menu

main menu

wedding 1
    wedding 2
    wedding 3
    wedding 4
    when any of the weddings are clicked in, it would offer another page with the episodes attached to that wedding.....e.g. clicking on wedding 2 would give a page with
    1-The ceremony
    2-photos and confetti
    3-the reception

be good if this page could have a heading saying “ Wedding 2” and a button to return to the main screen......this is exactly what I need.....is it possible with DVD or Blu-ray or both ?
    thanks in advance
    Last edited by Reddwarf4ever; 7th Sep 2020 at 12:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Both, if you are using proper, advanced tools. I would have each wedding as its own title and the sections within each wedding as chapters, and insividual, as well as "play all" playlists.

What were you thinking of using? DVDA? Encore?...

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 6th Sep 2020 at 18:42.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I did say I don’t want tomuse chapters, as I already have the individual episodes extracted from the video, I see no way of marking these as chapters other than recombining them and hoping to find good chapter cut points plus re encoding.....

Maybe this is easier...

First page

Life on earth

Season 1
    Season 2
    Season 3

When I click on E.g. season 1 I go to a page with season 1 episodes:

Episode 1
    Episode 2
    Episode 3
    Episode 4

Hopefully this page could have a title saying “ life on earth season 1”

Obviously a whole episode could not be a chapter......so,is this possible ??? Dvd or Blu-ray ?

Thanks

P.S. I assume it’s not possible to mark individual video files as chapters ��
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just a few thoughts.

1. There is absolutely no reason why a single 'episode' can not be one chapter.
    2. For reasonable quality you would not want more than 4 hours on a dvd (dual-layer and half that for single-layer). Obviously a blu-ray can hold more as long as you only have SD video else it is the same argument as with dvd. So it is hardly practical to have more than one wedding on a disk unless you only have highlights rather than full 'episodes'

That aside, playlists are the easiest way to go but simple authouring tools do not support them.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hello
    Thanks, is there a way to ‘convert’ an episode into a chapter to make my menu layout work ?

If not what program do I need to do playlists ? That’s new to me but need to get this to work

Thanks again

P.S. the weddings are not long & will use DL DVD or 25GB Blu-ray so shouldn’t be an issue, it’s the menu layout that’s critiaaclmat the moment
    Quote Quote  
  6. For a simple blu ray menu you can try BD Rebuilder
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/BD-Rebuilder
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Reddwarf4ever View Post
    Hello
    Thanks, is there a way to ‘convert’ an episode into a chapter to make my menu layout work ?

If not what program do I need to do playlists ? That’s new to me but need to get this to work

Thanks again

P.S. the weddings are not long & will use DL DVD or 25GB Blu-ray so shouldn’t be an issue, it’s the menu layout that’s critiaaclmat the moment

You do not convert an episode in to a chapter. By default an episode is a chapter. Additional chapters are created within the episode. Only if each episode was part of a larger event ie you had the actual ceremony, reception etc. joined together would you 'split' that into chapters should you only want to start at a particular point in the event.

It was already mentioned as to what authoring tools create playlists. Just for dvd I have also used DVD Lab Pro. But do take a look at the software section as there may be others.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    A chapter is just an artificial marker at some point in a title. The only way to change titles into chapters is to reassemble them into a larger new title and reassign chapter points along its run. If you wanted to do that.
    You could just use all individual titles, but title-to-title transitions will likely not be seamless.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Originally Posted by Reddwarf4ever View Post
    Hello

Thanks again

You do not convert an episode in to a chapter. By default an episode is a chapter. Additional chapters are created within the episode. Only if each episode was part of a larger event ie you had the actual ceremony, reception etc. joined together would you 'split' that into chapters should you only want to start at a particular point in the event.

It was already mentioned as to what authoring tools create playlists. Just for dvd I have also used DVD Lab Pro. But do take a look at the software section as there may be others.
    So if an episode is a chapter by default, then that may be enough, just need to work out how to do what I want with the episode as chapters...

Although the next post says “ The only way to change titles into chapters is to reassemble them into a larger new title and reassign chapter points along its run.“ which I obviously don’t want to do, so will have to have a play with it, unless there is a tutorial that covers what I need...usually use CxtoDVD, or the HD version for Blu-ray, so maybe this will work using chapters for my episodes 🙏🤞🙏
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Scott was actually echoing my comment with different wording.

So, if I read you right, you have, for example 4 weddings and 3 episodes for each. That makes 12 (4 * 3) individual movie files.

Now I can not write of the programs you use but you are writing of one top-level menu - the 4 weddings plus 4 lower-level menus with 3 options. So as long as your software allows for lower-level menus (called from the top-level) it will work. But what you can not do with this arrangement is to have a 'play all' on the lower-level unless the software actually allows for it ie creates that playlist for you.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hello
    I do appreciate your help & I fully understand that every piece of software works differently.....but if a program could be suggested that will do what I need I could make that a starting point.....

������
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I already suggested 2. Possibly also Cyberlink PowerProducer. You could conceiveably roll your own with a suite of opensource tools, but you would have to learn much more about the details of underlying dvd structure, and then experiment.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well if you really want more than one 'event' on a disk with separate menus it is going to be much more complex than you imagine.

Take a look at a reasonably simple dvd-authoring program called dvdstyler but can be equally complex. The default setup is a top-level menu with a 'play all' and a lower-level menu than you can select the 'episodes' from. Good to go so far since that is quite a basic setup.

But dvds (I can not write about blu-rays but I guess they will just be as complex) are built up from titlesets - look at the 'what is' for how titlesets show up on a disk. But a title set can only have one top-level menu and select 'episodes' from that. If you want that top-level menu to call another top-level menu the authoring requires code to jump from one titleset to another. I believe that dvdstyler can do this but what I suggest is you edit your topic title >> from your first post select edit and then you can edit the title << to include the word 'DVD-Styler' and then members who are familiar with the program may be able to assist.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Well if you really want more than one 'event' on a disk with separate menus it is going to be much more complex than you imagine.

Take a look at a reasonably simple dvd-authoring program called dvdstyler but can be equally complex. The default setup is a top-level menu with a 'play all' and a lower-level menu than you can select the 'episodes' from. Good to go so far since that is quite a basic setup.

But dvds (I can not write about blu-rays but I guess they will just be as complex) are built up from titlesets - look at the 'what is' for how titlesets show up on a disk. But a title set can only have one top-level menu and select 'episodes' from that. If you want that top-level menu to call another top-level menu the authoring requires code to jump from one titleset to another. I believe that dvdstyler can do this but what I suggest is you edit your topic title >> from your first post select edit and then you can edit the title << to include the word 'DVD-Styler' and then members who are familiar with the program may be able to assist.

Thanks, have done as you suggest.....🤞🙏🤞
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have had little play with DVDstyler and after a little Google I can now see how multiple titlesets are created.

I suggest you select one of the predefined templates and edit that as you want. That will have menu buttons in place plus place-holders for the videos - the template typically has 4 but if you only want 3 then right-click and select delete. Once you have populated that menu you can right click on the first menu, select Add >> Titleset which then creates a blank menu for a new titleset. Any element can be copy/pasted from one menu to another.

Double clicking on a button brings up the 'Action' options. In the drop-down box at the top of the screen you select what titleset you want to go to when the live button is clicked.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Thanks so much

Will give this a go

😎😎😎
    Quote Quote