VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Oh my, what an adventure this has all been.

So I’m trying to burn some Blu-ray backups using Toast 17, and (probably due to the amount of content I’m able to fit on one disc) it is taking FOREVER to encode the files. Like, a full day.

Is there a faster method or software?

My hardware is plenty fast, so I’m totally sure it’s just this particularly issue that’s going slowly. I’m using a Mac but I’m open to Windows software if it’s better, since I can just use Parallels to run Windows on my machine.

If more details are needed I’ll try to provide them. Any help is appreciated, I’ve been trying to get this all moving for a while and it’s just been one hurdle after another, so I’m fairly discouraged.
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
    So I’m trying to burn some Blu-ray backups using Toast 17, and (probably due to the amount of content I’m able to fit on one disc) it is taking FOREVER to encode the files. Like, a full day.
    Are you using BD-R 25GB Blu-ray media or BD-R DL 50GB Blu-ray media? How many minutes of content are you re-encoding?

If you have software that allows it then using the video card's GPU (Intel QuickSync, NVIDIA NVENC or AMD Advanced Media Framework?) is faster than CPU encoding but quality may be a little worse and/or the resulting file size may be a little larger.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I put 18+ hours on a DL BD (6-8 hrs of HD, rest in SD), and it took DAYS to encode. But it looked good, and that's all that counts to me.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Are you using BD-R 25GB Blu-ray media or BD-R DL 50GB Blu-ray media? How many minutes of content are you re-encoding?

If you have software that allows it then using the video card's GPU (Intel QuickSync, NVIDIA NVENC or AMD Advanced Media Framework?) is faster than CPU encoding but quality may be a little worse and/or the resulting file size may be a little larger.
    I’m using a BD DL 50GB disc. As for how many minutes, I’m not sure exactly but it’s A LOT. I’m backing up seasons of a show and one disc can fit roughly four seasons (20-something minute episodes, about 22-ish episodes per season). I’m sure using less space per disc would speed up the encode time, but I’d like to use fewer discs and keep my shelf space nice and condensed.

Sorry, I am not super tech savvy? What does that mean and how do I do it?

Would you be confident about estimating roughly how much of a quality difference there would be? I want to preserve the HD quality but if it’s only a mild difference it may be worth it. I’m worried running my machine for essentially one day per encode will really harm its longevity.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post

I’m using a BD DL 50GB disc. As for how many minutes, I’m not sure exactly but it’s A LOT. I’m backing up seasons of a show and one disc can fit roughly four seasons (20-something minute episodes, about 22-ish episodes per season). I’m sure using less space per disc would speed up the encode time, but I’d like to use fewer discs and keep my shelf space nice and condensed.

Sorry, I am not super tech savvy? What does that mean and how do I do it?

Would you be confident about estimating roughly how much of a quality difference there would be? I want to preserve the HD quality but if it’s only a mild difference it may be worth it. I’m worried running my machine for essentially one day per encode will really harm its longevity.
    You are re-encoding and authoring somewhere around 1760 min/30 hrs of video. That should take a long time.

I don't have my PowerDirector Blu-ray authoring software installed anymore but it probably doesn't have GPU encoding as an option because it is about 9 years out of date. As I recall, re-encoding about 4 hours of edited HDTV broadcasts took a several hours and that is one of the reasons that I decided not to author my recorded TV shows and just copy the edited files to Blu-ray media.

My editing software, VideoReDo TV Suite 6, does allow GPU encoding as an option. The VideoReDo TV Suite 6 product page claims that GPU encoding with QuickSync can be up to 5 times faster than using the CPU and even faster for supported NVIDIA cards. The option to use GPU encoding is presented during installation, and I think there is a way to choose GPU encoding for individual files. If I wanted to convert anything to HEVC, I probably would try QuickSync but I don't convert anything because not doing that saves time.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Aug 2020 at 11:39.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Wow! You clearly know your stuff better than I do! Can you expand on the not encoding part? I don’t think Toast offers a choice. Does it have to do with file type? Like, if I can use a program to convert the files to VOB or something would that bypass Toast seeing the need to re-encode them? I’d LOVE to not have to jump through extra encoding hoops if I don’t have to.

I’m also open to using software other than Toast, but I like them because I can add a custom menu background image, and Toast verifies the burn for errors.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow! You clearly know your stuff better than I do! Can you expand on the not encoding part? I don’t think Toast offers a choice. Does it have to do with file type? Like, if I can use a program to convert the files to VOB or something would that bypass Toast seeing the need to re-encode them? I’d LOVE to not have to jump through extra encoding hoops if I don’t have to.

I’m also open to using software other than Toast, but I like them because I can add a custom menu background image, and Toast verifies the burn for errors.
    There is no menu on my BD-R discs because they are not authored Blu-ray. My burned BD-Rs are just data discs containing a number of media files. Once you have the episodes as individual files, it's possible that you could still do the same thing I do, using Toast to create data discs rather than authored Blu-ray. However, you might need to put fewer episodes on your BD-R DL disks to avoid the need to re-encode. For example, it is quite possible that you would still need to re-encode each episode to a smaller size to fit about 30 hours of standard-definition video from commercially produced DVDs on one BD-R DL.

Sadly, I only know a little bit more about GPU encoding than you do. I haven't done any GPU encoding yet. What I do know I learned from reading threads in this forum plus what my search engine turned up in response to queries. It's the same with Macs and software that runs on them. I don't have any personal experience with them so what I know is spotty and second-hand.
    Quote Quote