VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I don't necessarily want to capture it...I want to copy it...bit by bit. I know there are tools out there to use it as a tape backup, and since everything is stored digitally, shouldn't I be able to simply "copy" the data from the tape to my HD , producing a file I could then convert to an .avi? I'm thinking this would negate the loss of quality inherent w/capturing.

Does this sound reasonable, or am I totally off here?
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you capture it, it IS a copy. There is no changing of the data in a straight DV capture.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm comparing it to something along these lines: http://dvbackup.sourceforge.net/

So capturing to a lossless format would produce the same results as copying it from the tape in digital form (bit by bit), then converting that to a lossless video format?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DV is a compressed format. So saving it uncompressed would only waste space.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Airjrdn,

Use something like WinDV or DVIO or VirtualDub to copy (transfer) from your DV cam to DV AVI.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote