VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi folks. After calculating the right bitrate for my video using https://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm, I compressed DV into mpeg file but, surprise, the .avi file was bigger than it should be!!! I am really lost.
    Can someone tell me what is the best bitrate to fit 90 minutes in a single DVD-R using some basic menus with background music?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would use TMPGEnc with 2-Pass VBR min 2000 ave 6000 max 9000, using 448kbps audio. This would leave you with about 260MB for your menus.

Even if you do go over 4.377GB, author anyway and just use DVDShrink or DVD2One to brin g it back to size.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you! Very precise but how can I calculate the bitrate if I am going to use VBR?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aguinsburg
    Thank you! Very precise but how can I calculate the bitrate if I am going to use VBR?
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    2-Pass VBR min 2000 ave 6000 max 9000
    Always use min 2000 and max 9000. Whatever you calculate the bitrate to be, set this as your average.

As long as you set your average correctly, TMGPEnc will do the rest
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use mainconcept, but the idea is pretty much the same. I push the bottom end up a bit, and use (H/L/A) 9000/4200/6000. DVD Lab reports and average BR of 5995 - 5996 pretty much every time.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote