VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using a Canon ZR80 miniDV camcorder. It offers a SP & LP modes for recording. Besides the obvious time increase for LP, what's the difference? How do camcorders (especially mine) make up the difference in the data size? Is it made up with decreased bitrate, or resolution, or something else? Is there really a quality difference on playback?

Also, I have the option of using 12-bit audio instead of 16-bit. I'm hoping to get the most out of each tape (and I am already recording the audio seperately!). Does recording in 12-bit increase the total running time of the tape? ie. less data recorded, more room?

I'm a bit of a DV novice, sorry.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    From what I understand, the only difference between SP and LP is the tape speed. LP obviously moves somewhat slower than SP. The compression, however, stays constant at 5:1. The advantage is that you get to squeeze about a half-hour more out of a 60-minute tape, but the tradeoff is a greater chance of dropouts and glitches. Also, it's recommended that you do not switch speeds on the same tape because that will cause timecode issues--if you start the tape filming in SP, stay in SP for the entire tape.

Fortunately, it's not like it is with analog tape, where a slower tape speed equals poor-quality video and audio. As they say, bits is bits...

As for the sound, the 12-bit option will give you two more audio tracks to play around with, but it's generally recommended to stay with the 16-bit option.

So in short, even though you'll get the same great image quality at either SP or LP, it's recommended that you shoot at SP because of the dropout issues with LP, and you'd be better off shooting 16-bit. Although you only get one pair of stereo tracks as opposed to two pairs with 12-bit, I daresay that they're not used very often.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LP uses thinner tracks and this makes interchange with other decks difficult. It has proven risky for playback even on the same transport over time. Use it only when you need extra time for short periods and get it dubbed to disk quickly.

Archives should be done with SP mode.

More detail in the forum archives like these.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=276213
    https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=280934
    Quote Quote