VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anybody know how to load an iPod with a video without using iTunes ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know, but you might check here.
    http://ipodgarage.com/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "ipodlibrary" I think. I saw it on one of those "flix" sites.
    Let me try to dig up the link. It was a new Zealander programmer who designed it.

-M
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know they recently added portable support to Winamp (including the iPod), but I'm not sure if you can use it to transfer movie files.

Of course, you can always manually rename and transfer files into an iPod (with disk mode enabled), but that's not for the faint of heart. ^_^;
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well that would be fine with me. I started off in life booting computers with paper tape.
    I didn't know ipod had a disk mode. Do you enable that on the ipod and plug it in like a
    flash stick or what ? ....and then a person would have to know exactly what format the
    video had to be in. I suspect Mpeg4 but dunno what size , etc.
    Quote Quote  
  6. My only reply is "why" if you have a program that works and is free and comes with the iPod why not use it??? the only reason is if you use linux I guess. But hey to each their own.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Because not every like iTunes -- it does, after all, hijack your computer as a media player. If you don't use the iTunes Music Store, then there is really very little reason to have iTunes installed.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sure, most iPods (except for the Shuffles, IIRC) have a 'disk mode,' where you can also use the iPod as another external hard drive. However, manually adding movies to the iPod is probably an extreme last resort - I'll have to admit to you now that I don't know what ('hidden') folder(s) you'd have to place the files in, or what you would have to name the files. My sister's the one with a 5G iPod; I haven't really felt like moving up from my faithful 4G iPod just yet.

It's better to use a manager for adding music and videos to the iPod; they should add all the necessary metainfo for the files as well. I'm curious - not that I'm suggesting you use it if you'd rather not, but why do you not want to use iTunes?

I'll try and see if it's possible to load videos onto a 5G iPod using Winamp.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Anapod Explorer may work for you. It didn't for me though. I have a 60gb iPod Video and Anapod will only transfer audio to and from my computer. I don't buy music through iTunes so I'd love to remove it from my computer entirely but it's the only thing that can add video.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, before I can put songs or video from a source other that itunes music store, I have to convert them in itunes, under "advanced"-"convert selection for ipod". Even though they are in the right format. Instead of converting all at once, or automatically one after another, it stops after converting the highlighted song or video. Is there a way to convert the entire library or playlist so I dont have to keep checking up on it? Thanks
    Quote Quote