VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am using firefox 2 on an ancient pentium 2 laptop for wifi surfing (simple text browsing little to no media obviously).

I went to upgrade to firefox 3 but was disappointed to get the notice that it only supports win 2000 and newer. I think I checked and I do have a copy of win 2000 but the laptop only has 4gb of harddrive space and 64mb ram. I think win 2000 would choke on that low of a resource platform.

Are there any browsers newer than firefox2 that support WIN 98?

--------------------

I have a side question - are there any linux distribuitions on live cds that would work on a pentium 2? I'd need one with a built in browser and one that would support one of two wifi cards I have (one no name and a dlink that I have but doesn't support win98 so I don't use it but might have an available linux driver).

Would that be doable? I wouldn't want permanently install linux on the laptop as I still would like to use it since I have OFFICE 2000 still installed on it.

--------------------------

I'd appreciate suggestions for either (fyi I did have an old cd burn of KANTOTIX from 2006 but it was choking on the reboot and just hung at the "finding cdrom" or whatever the preinstallation verbage was. By the way its an old HP omnibook if that helps (bought second hand used so I don't have any original documentation or install drivers or whatever - I've had it for quite a few years now).
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can run Firefox 3.03 or higher on Win98/SE. You need to install KernelEX and edit the KEXVER.INI to include whatever version you install.

[PerApp]
    ;Notepad2.exe=winxp ;;i don't know why Xeno added it here; breaks N2 clipboard
    etqw.exe=winxp
    foobar2000_0.9.5.1.exe=winxp
    Firefox Setup 3.0.exe=winxp
    Firefox Setup 3.0.1.exe=winxp
    Firefox Setup 3.0.2.exe=winxp
    Firefox Setup 3.0.3.exe=winxp

[Override]

[Skip Modules]
    OPENGL32.DLL=1
    EXPLORER.EXE=1
    KERNEL32.DLL=1
    WINMM.DLL=1
    WININET.DLL=1
    SHFOLDER.DLL=1
    MSVCRT.DLL=1
    ATIO9XXX.DLL=1
    NVOPENGL.DLL=1
    UNICOWS.DLL=1

[AdvancedGDI]
    firefox.exe=1
    seamonkey.exe=1

http://www.msfn.org/board/KernelEx-v035-released-t71476.html&s=8ef27893b249c2dec874f4f...9d85a1&st=1100
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    I think I checked and I do have a copy of win 2000 but the laptop only has 4gb of harddrive space and 64mb ram. I think win 2000 would choke on that low of a resource platform.
    You might try to make an nLite stripped-down Win2k installer CD.

http://www.nliteos.com/faq.html#Q10
    If you have slow computer try nLited Windows 2000, ISO can go down to little over 60MB, it's really fast.

Note that you nLite itself runs on XP with Net 2.0.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Should this be interpreted to mean that Opera version 9 will run on Win 98 ?

System requirements for Opera for Windows
    NOTE! These system requirements are for the Windows version of Opera. There are separate requirements for Linux and Mac

Minimum configuration for Opera 9:
    20 MB of free disk space
    Any system running Windows 95 (or later)
    These requirements only apply to Opera. Third-party plug-ins such as Flash, Java and others may have additional requirements.

Recommended configuration for Opera 9:
    Pentium II class system with 64 MB of RAM and at least 50 MB of free disk space
    Windows 98 or higher
    While Opera 9 should run on any 32-bit version of Windows, the performance on computers below Pentium II class may be less usable. Legacy versions of Opera, such as Opera 6 and below, are better suited for such systems.

Legacy versions of Opera for Windows are available from the Opera archive at arc.opera.com.

Installing Opera 9 on Windows 95, 98 or NT 4.0 requires the Windows Installer to be installed on your system. Alternatively you can select the classic installer when downloading Opera, but then you must manually download the language files for languages other than US English.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @everyone - thank you for the tips.

I think of all the suggestions opera 9 might be the best bet. If it requires no "hacking" of any type than that would be the best solution. I'll check it out and report back.

EDIT - Well Opera gets the win! I am currently surfing using Opera 9.6 on Win 98. I did not need to any modifications to it. Though it did have a pop up messaging saying some dll was missing and some transparencies might not function properly. However I doubt I'd notice it or care.

This looks to be a winner. I may switch over to Opera at least on the ancient laptop for now. Thanks wtsinnc
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The KernelEX referenced by GKar 10/16 post works well too, and I prefer that option because I like Firefox and Mozilla browsers better than Opera. KernelEX also enables many games designed for WinXP to run in Win98 including NickJr and other websites that state Win2K or later is required.
    Quote Quote