VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I used DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink to give me usable files and converted them to ISO format. I have similar needs but now for Blu Ray, so I need different software.

Looking for:
    -Software(s) to decrypt and rip to MKV container files and be able to use high quality codec, preferable H.264
    -I don't mind paying - but I don't want a subscription if I can avoid it.
    -Need ability to convert MKV files to ISO so that I can back up my Blu Ray discs.

I'm hoping that people with similar uses can recommend software.

There was a really old thread that asked a question somewhat related, but it is years old and I did not want to necro the thread.

I also found this page below, but I did not see anything about ISO's on this page.
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/decrypters-bd-hd-dvd

TIY
    Last edited by yesimanoob; 6th Sep 2017 at 21:44.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try search the tools section...
    You will find dvdfab, this will decrypt blu-ray for free (although not the newest ones)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most Blu-ray decrypter/converters are subscription-based.

However, MakeMKV is free while in beta. (It has been in beta for a long time.) It can create MKVs on its own, containing the same video and audio as the original. It can't create ISOs directly, but it can rip the entire disk to files and folders in "Backup Mode". Afterwards, use ImgBurn to create an ISO from the Blu-ray files and folders.

Finding software for reliable Blu-ray ISO playback over a a network won't be easy. Maybe DVDFab Media Player?
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use MakeMKV for all my DVD's and Blu ray discs. Saving the MKV files to my network NAS. Kodi handles them fine as does my Popcorn A-500. MakeMKV doesn't shrink the file size but I only rip the main movie. If I want to see the extra's I play the disc - a rare event!
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  5. Perfect! Thank you for your help and suggestions. I'll give MakeMKV and IMGBurn a shot.

Curious if anyone has tried any of the following?
    -BDplug-in (bdlugin.de)
    -Blu-ray Ripper (blu-rayripper.org)
    -WinX Blu-Ray Decrypter (winxdvd.com/blu-ray-decrypter/)
    Quote Quote