VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I noted that Aegisub doesn't have support to batch process .srt files.
    I have a few hundred .srt files that need to be processed (simply by using one of Aegisub's already-included macros - "Make Time Continuous" -> "Change End"), and then exported to an .srt (with perhaps a filter being applied, i.e. "Clean Tags" or "Fix Styles", but this isn't as mandatory).

I simply think there must be a more efficient way rather than clicking over a thousand times to get this completed.

Does any one have any better suggestions?

Many thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Any assistance? :\
    I looked at Subtitle Edit again (because it DOES support batch processing), and noticed "overlapping display times" is a fix under its options of "Fix Common Errors", however it doesn't work the same. It ends up performing the fix in such a way where some of the subtitles are not fixed correctly (i.e. it doesn't end up syncing properly, for example, one subtitle line started much later than when it was supposed to).

Basically, I just want a program that can replicate the 'make continuous' fix that aegisub can, AND, also, batch process subtitles to apply that fix to thousands of subtitles.

Thanks..
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Restricted View Post
    ...one subtitle line started much later than when it was supposed to.
    How much is "much later"?
    Should be less than one second, and only happen if you have checked Options -> Settings -> Tools -> Fix common error -> Fix show display time - allow move of start time.

In latest beta of Subtitle Edit there's a "Bridge gaps" (in durations) in batch convert - perhaps that's more what you want?
    https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subtitleedit/releases/download/3.5.3/SubtitleEditBeta.zip (portable version, beta)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Nikse View Post
    Originally Posted by Restricted View Post
    ...one subtitle line started much later than when it was supposed to.
    How much is "much later"?
    Should be less than one second, and only happen if you have checked Options -> Settings -> Tools -> Fix common error -> Fix show display time - allow move of start time.

In latest beta of Subtitle Edit there's a "Bridge gaps" (in durations) in batch convert - perhaps that's more what you want?
    https://github.com/SubtitleEdit/subtitleedit/releases/download/3.5.3/SubtitleEditBeta.zip (portable version, beta)

3-4 seconds at times (it varies, as it depends on what the next subtitle line is) and it doesn't occur for every subtitle line - the issue only happens with, say, 25% of the subtitles. I think the issue isn't a programmatic miscalculation during the processing, it's just that it seems to be done differently than the other programs.
    That is, instead of adjusting the last subtitle line to end contiguously to the next/subsequent subtitle line, it just for some reason ends much earlier.

I have not ticked "fix show display time" and even when I did - I can't apply it because there the program doesn't find any applicable subtitle matches that suits that fix. So that's out of question.

I was also wondering what that did but I read the documentation and I don't think it's right for the job at all.

I have found an answer to my issue, but still wondering whether it can be done in SubtitleEdit:

In essence:

Original:

00:00:01,040 --> 00:00:05,639
    00:00:03,330 --> 00:00:07,230
    00:00:05,639 --> 00:00:09,570

Applied fix in SubtitleEdit:

00:00:01,040 --> 00:00:03,329
    00:00:03,330 --> 00:00:06,435
    00:00:06,436 --> 00:00:09,570

What I actually need (and what is done in other programs' fix):
    00:00:01,040 --> 00:00:03,330
    00:00:03,330 --> 00:00:05,639
    00:00:05,639 --> 00:00:07,230

Any ideas on how to achieve the latter in SubtitleEdit?

See I don't know where SubtitleEdit obtains that time in red above, whereas the one changed in the latter (in blue), actually makes sense.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Any ideas on how to achieve the latter in SubtitleEdit
    Tools -> Fix common errors -> Fix overlapping display time

In CLI option /fixcommonerrors
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by videobruger View Post
    Any ideas on how to achieve the latter in SubtitleEdit
    Tools -> Fix common errors -> Fix overlapping display time

In CLI option /fixcommonerrors
    Unfortunately, as advised here that's actually how I am applying the fix in SubtitleEdit and it's causing the above issue. Any other ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Manually editing the times, no other way.. programs not that smart as an actual person
    Quote Quote  
  8. Subtitle Edit is spreading the two subtitles equally in time when two overlap. I seem to recall that Subtitle Workshop simply stops the prior title when the next overlaps. I don't know if it has batch processing though.
    Quote Quote