VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Total beginner here, so not too techy replies please
    I'm in the UK.
    I have a Samsung TV which will only play some MKV's
    Just as an example, I have downloaded 'The Equalizer 3'
    It's a MKV which the main film is in English, but at the start a bloke speaks in a foreign language which shows up if I play the film on my mac using the quicktime player or VLC.
    I use serviio to stream said film from my Mac to my Samsung TV.
    Because my TV will only play certain MKV, if It has anything like the bloke speaking showing his subs, it won't play on it.
    The only way I can get it to play on my tv is if I convert it to MP4 MOV etc, but then I lose the subs of the bloke speaking.
    I have loaded the SRT that comes with the download (which I have only just learnt about), but that only gives me the subs for the whole film.
    Is there a way...an easy way...to convert it to another file format that may or may not play on my TV, but keeping the subs of just the bloke speaking and then the rest in English.
    Hope anyone can follow this length of war and peace post.
    I have Total Video Converter Pro, and Movavi Video Converter Premium.
    Basically, I need to convert an MKV to a format which I can stream from my Mac to my tv via serviio but still keeping the subs (not the subs for the whole film which I can achieve by loading the SRT into servvio when I stream it)
    Many Thanks for any replies.
    Last edited by Negativepitch; 30th Dec 2023 at 18:58.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If the subtitles for the foreign language are burned in, you won't lose them when you mux the video from mkv to mov or mp4.
    To know if you can mux from mkv to mov or mp4 and which soft subtitles are included in the movie, post a mediainfo report (text mode) here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi.
    Sorry to get back so late.
    I used handbrake to convert it with its default option it chose.
    It converted it to MP4 but with the subs I was losing when played on my tv.
    So all good.
    Many thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Quote Quote