VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this guide is for divx or xvid(you need xvid codec)-to svcd(non ac3 ). it optimizes encoding speed,while maximizing quality on slow cpu's. remember: quality in-quality out. i use this method all the time.there is NO guarantee of final file size,but i have never had a problem with fitting under 2 hour movies on 2 cd's.

you will need 2 programs: virtual dub
    tmpg enc

both of which can be found here: http://www.vcdhelp.com/tools

once you have them installed,open up virtual dub then file> open video file to load your avi.
    now click file> file information. write down the fps so you won't forget.in this case its 29.971. then click ok.

next you click video> scan video for errors.this will take some time to complete.

if it finds errors select: audio>direct stream copy
    video>direct stream copy
    file>save as avi.
    choose a name for your new file
    this will save out a new copy without the errors so you don't run into problems while encoding.once you have saved your new file you can close virtual dub.

now open tmpg enc. where it says: "video source" click browse and load your error free avi that you just saved. leave the "audio source" as is. choose an "output file name" and where you want it saved to. next we load the template. frame rates are as follows: 29.976= NTSC,23.976=NTSC FILM,25=PAL. click "load" and choose the template that coresponds to the"fps" in virtual dub.(you did write it down right!) in this case we choose: SuperVideoCD (NTSC).then click open.

now click "settings".choose "constant quality".

now click the setting button right beside. set the quality level slider to 80.(if your movie is 2+ hours long,you might want to set this to 70) the maximum bitrate i leave at 2520. if your dvd player has trouble playing this you can lower this if you wish. now click ok. set the "motion precision search" to normal then click ok.

now click "start". on my 534mhz i average about 10-12 hours encoding time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I just cant feel confident using a guide made by someone that cant spell encoding...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hmmm....might even be a few more spelling errors in there. yesterday was a long day for me don't use it then,your loss
    Quote Quote  
  4. I loaded 12 monkeys.avi into VirtualDub and ran: > scan video for errors.
    I got this error: Internal error: MMX state left on: T:\projects\VirtualDub_old\main\VideoSource.cpp:11 01

So I tried your: " if it finds errors select: audio>direct stream copy
    video>direct stream copy file>save as avi. ( I used 12 monkeys copy.avi ) this will save out a new copy without the errors. "

I then loaded the REPAIRED file ( 12 monkeys copy.avi )
    ran > scan video for errors again and got THE SAME ERROR MESSAGE AGAIN.

My next move was to remove the bad frames:
    http://vcdhelp.com/forum/userguides/116545.php
    and save that file as ( 12 monkeys repaired.avi ).
    I then ran > scan video for errors again and got NO ERRORS.

Your theory sounded good and would of saved me some steps but it didn't work for me. Maybe it only works on certian files or ERRORS....

thanks for the suggestion anyways.

Paul.....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First I would like to thank tenders for taking the time and energy to share his experiences.

Wanted to let you know that I thought the remark about the spelling error was obnoxious and disrespectful. Not funny, especially when aimed at someone who is volunterring their time and experience to share information.

Tender,

Do youi know if this would work with VOB files, instead of Divx files ?

Also, how is the sound compared to extracting the audio to wav, then running toolame (I do it offline), then using this newly created mp2 file to load with with video ?

Thanks,

Jolo (Jon)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thank you jolo, i guess cybermage26 has alot of free time sorry jolo,i do not know about vob files. the sound seems ok to me. that i guess would depend on the quality of the audio in your file.(and if your very picky) i do not separate the audio and video because i find by doing it this way,i never have any sync problems.

hope that helps you
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi Tenders. I have tried your guides for encoding and cutting SVCD s. Everything worked well. Good job. I guess this is the best and fastest way to make SVCD s. Scanning video for errors works for me too. In order to watch on my Panasonic RV 31 DVD Player at the end I used the VCD header trick with TMPGEnc.
    Thanks a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    your welcome :P
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hi,
    Many thanks for putting this SVCD info on.
    I have downloaded an MPEG1,23.976,576*240 file and have managed to get as far as the burning pricess through Nero. It reads in the file, then comes up with an error saying it has the incorrect settings for an SVCD file even though it has been set as FILM. I have tried installing the SVCD patch on Nero but get the same error.
    I know I have not given enough info but I will try again and repost after hopefully getting some feedback.
    Many thanks.
    Rob.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rswalker
    Hi,
    Many thanks for putting this SVCD info on.
    I have downloaded an MPEG1,23.976,576*240 file and have managed to get as far as the burning pricess through Nero. It reads in the file, then comes up with an error saying it has the incorrect settings for an SVCD file even though it has been set as FILM. I have tried installing the SVCD patch on Nero but get the same error.
    I know I have not given enough info but I will try again and repost after hopefully getting some feedback.
    Many thanks.
    Rob.
    mpeg1 is not svcd. it is vcd. you have to burn as vcd.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi,

Thanks for responding so soon.
    When I encode the MPEG1 file through TMPEnc should I set it as something different so it will burn as VCD or is this not possible.
    Would I have to just encode it through NERO??
    Thanks again,
    Rob.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    just choose the "videocd ntscfilm" template in tmpg. when done, make sure you burn as vcd not svcd.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Hi tenders,
    thak you for the guide. one question though-what if i need to change fps from PAL to NTSC? i've got som PAL movies from Kazaa and would like to encode (did i spell "encode" right,cybermage?) them into NTSC-what is the best way and simplest way to that with minimum loss of quality and without sound desync.?
    thanx.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    :P there are templates for both pal and ntsc in tmpg,so you wouldn't need to change the framerate. if you have a file with a weird framerate like 12fps,it probably isn't worth encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Tenders, I have not yet tried your Guide, But I do Have one Question..
    Every other guide suggests converting the audio into wav before encoding, why doesn't your guide suggest this also?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by buzzrock
    Tenders, I have not yet tried your Guide, But I do Have one Question..
    Every other guide suggests converting the audio into wav before encoding, why doesn't your guide suggest this also?
    i use to to do it that way, but i ended up having alot of audio sync problems. now i do it my way,and have none
    Quote Quote  
  17. How do you get the audio to work without exporting it as a WAV? It always say it's a unsupported format or the final render has no audio.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    (in tmpg)try increasing the priority under,options>environmental settings>vfapi plug in. then right click on the direct show file reader and increase its priority. that might do the trick :

it is also possible you are missing a codec.
    Quote Quote  
  19. It still won't work. Where can I get a codec? It's just mp3 VBR right?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    try the nemo codec pack in the tools section of this site.
    Quote Quote  
  21. nevermind, I went back and set my priority a little higher from 4 to 5 and now it works. Thanks Tenders
    Quote Quote  
  22. Thanks Tenders for this guide.

Would you suggest I run the scan for errors process on a SVCD file created by ULead v6 i.e. not a dowloaded movie but a DV edited movie?

I have digital blocks and green blocks on SVCDs encoded as CVDs but that could be another problem? Normal (i.e. non CVD) SVCDs do not have the same problem. I use the TPMG header trick to play back as VCD on my player.

By the way (and purely out of curiosity), where exactly is the alleged spelling mistake as I couldn't find it???
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sav10
    Thanks Tenders for this guide.

Would you suggest I run the scan for errors process on a SVCD file created by ULead v6 i.e. not a dowloaded movie but a DV edited movie?

I have digital blocks and green blocks on SVCDs encoded as CVDs but that could be another problem? Normal (i.e. non CVD) SVCDs do not have the same problem. I use the TPMG header trick to play back as VCD on my player.

By the way (and purely out of curiosity), where exactly is the alleged spelling mistake as I couldn't find it???
    svcd is an mpeg2 file,and as such virtual dub is not capable of processing it.scanning for errors has to be done in the avi format. i doubt it will get rid of blocks,but it seems to work great with pixillation.

i have corrected the spelling mistakes
    Quote Quote  
  24. I have tried using this guide on four different files now.

The end result file I get, before I go to burning, never seems right.

When I play it, using Windows Media Player, with my MPEG 2 codecs installed, it seems to play fast, then stops, then skips frames, then goes really fast again.

Any ideas? I have followed the instructions to the letter on four different files now.

I was wondering if it was worth me just going to burn anyway, and see what the end SVCD plays like?

My original files have had no errors in them, and burns fine as a VCD (although I have to save the file out of Virtual Dub, even though it finds no errors)

Any ideas? (Many thanks for the guide anyway...)
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    this method has always worked for me. i have had windows media player act up on me from time to time. i generally use power dvd to check the files,as wmp doesn't handle mpeg2 very well.

my advice is to burn anyway and see what happens
    Quote Quote  
  26. Um, I used your guide, and for some reason my .avi was doubled in size and length...nothing will play the file, so I dont know what it looks like. Did I do something wrong?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CrystalSuicune
    Um, I used your guide, and for some reason my .avi was doubled in size and length...nothing will play the file, so I dont know what it looks like. Did I do something wrong?

the file size does get larger after you encode. to cut it follow this: http://www.vcdhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=119181

if you can't play the file after you encode it, its probably because you don't have the mpeg2 codec installed on your system. check the tools setion of this site for the codec. a dvd software player will also play it.

btw...you won't notice any difference on your comp. when you burn it and play it in your dvd player,it will look great :P
    Quote Quote  
  28. Nimo Codec pack
    This Pack includes, Divx, XVID, MP3 Audio Codec, Vob Playback, AC3 Dolby Digital audio decoder, MPEG2 Codec, DivX AntiFreeze Filter, OGG Audio Codec and much more. Freeware.

I have that already :/

Edit: Oh, and I dont think I made it clear (after talking to my brother), after encoding the movie went from 1 hour 15 minutes of movie to 3 hours of black screen, no sound
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the movie should be the same length time wise? where did this movie come from? perhaps you got a bad file?

did you check the video and audio codec in virtual dub? then you can check them against the ones on your system(to see if you have them.

a black screen and no sound almost always means a missing codec problem.
    Quote Quote