VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Great, finally. But i thought you could avoid the whole problem by turning off thumbnail view? I like thumbnail view so this is good news anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Jeez, this is a long thread. I use a tiny utility called " MOVE ON BOOT" .

So simple, insanely simple. Right click on the file and select " DELETE ON NEXT BOOT".

Thats it ! Whenever you re-boot, either right then or 12 hours later the file is deleted. No massive buttons or options to choose from, just right click and delete on next boot. So simple.

Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i only reboot every couple of months -- plus some are on a external raid that never reboot ..

uptime: 1774.4 hours (winXPsp1)
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  4. and after you try all that you could just close the file before leaving programs like VirtualDub if you dont close before exiting, XP thinks its still in use, if you get this problem, open the program back up load the file press close file then exit
    Quote Quote  
  5. another method that works for me *most of the time* is to simply delete/rename the file from within an application, V-Dub for example... but can be any program that has an 'open file' dialog box.
    Quote Quote  
  6. i dont understand why almost everyone wants to go about this with every back assward way of deleting avi files.. just do the registry thing and get it over with.. you dont have to worry about it anymore, and you dont have to do some whacky ass shit to delete your avi files..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would guess that some people don't want to mess with their registry.
    Thats one of the few things novices know NOT to fudge with.

My proggy is like under 600k and its so simple, instal it (takes 2 seconds), right click on the file and select to delete on next boot. Couldnt be simpler
    Quote Quote  
  8. so your program doesnt fudge with the registry at all?

its not nearly as convienent.. i dont want to have to reboot everytime i need to delete an avi file.

and its not like doing this registry modification is brain surgery.. plus who needs another program, when this SIMPLE registry modification is much more convienent?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No it dont mess with the registry, plus it works for more than just an avi. Any troublesome file can get the kick! Some appliction files wont delete at times, this gets em.

Again, as far as messing with registry, I have no problem myself, but noobs may not wanna try it because its pretty much ingrained into them not to mess with it.
    Quote Quote  

10. so adding this nifty little item to the menu doesnt mess with the registry AT ALL?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i know where this is heading
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not heading anywhere bad, at least on my behalf. Just thought Id post a link to this if anyone wants it. No biggie though.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Spybot's secure shredder tool has always gotten rid of avi files that i couldn't delete normally, albeit very slowly on large files as it has a minimum of several passes.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I have another, better solution. Goto tools>folder options, then click view, then set it to use "widows classic folders"

This way the avis wont peview and this wont be an issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well spy bot is ok if your worried about having stuff on ur pc that u shouldnt have. Unless ur just really really paranoid.

Changing to classic folders kinds makes having xp a moot point somewhat.

Whats wrong with right click-delete on next boot?

heck, now I feel like Im trying to advocate this software like im selling it, but I'm not. Its just a good and easy tool. To each their own I guess.
    As long as u get that sucker off ur compuetr in the end.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there are two good methods here ....

reg fix and remove on next boot ..

lets just end this thread here ....
    Quote Quote  
  17. Thanks for the info
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by RiG
    I've seen this coming up more and more all over the place so I figured I'd stick it here.

Avi files (divx) can be trouble in xp. there is a fix to let xp behave much better so it's possible to move or delete large avi files. The obnoxious bug in XP that causes Explorer to read the entire contents of broken AVI files before allowing any access to them is caused by bad behavior of shmedia.dll.

To correct this misbehavior in Windows XP, remove the following
    registry key.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{87D62D9 4-71B3-4b9a-9489-5FE6850DC73E}\InProcServer32

This will prevent Explorer from loading shmedia.dll in response to file property queries on these files.

Just an extra note, if you do a "search" for this key it will not be found, look for it manually it is very easy to find. As always newbie or not, if you FUBAR your registry its your own fault. This fix does work, I use it and have applied it to many XP machines. Now go ahead and fix this royal pain in the ass!

RiG
    will removing this also let you play divx files with errors
    i mean to say carry on playing through a file with errors
    like a cd which was written badly
    a cd with scratches
    poorly dowloaded files etc
    which crash the real player/windows media player software when you get to the damaged part
    Quote Quote