VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just have gotten one of these Magewell Pro Capture HDMI cards...

I have just recently got a Magewell Pro Capture HDMI card...

http://www.magewell.com/pro-capture-hdmi

the main reason i got this card was the spec sheet said 'Support for up to 8-channel IEC60958/IEC61937 audio streams', so basically capture 5.1 and 7.1 audio for your captures. Upon receiving the card i was unable to find an option to select 5.1 or 7.1 audio from there supplied Capture Software (Magewell CaptureExpress)....

http://www.magewell.com/files/CaptureExpress.zip

I seemed that the card doesnt support 5.1 audio at all, so i contacted there support.....eventually i got a reply

"7.1 audio can only be captured by SDK interface. Maybe you can download MWCaptureSDK from website and reference to the example of MultiAudioCapture.
    It demonstrates how to caputre 7.1 audio and save it to wave files."

http://www.magewell.com/files/MWCaptureSDK.zip

in the zip file i found a program named, XID_MultiAudioCapture.exe, which indeed allowed me to capture 5.1 audio from my xbox one console, but just the audio no video!!. So in order for me to capture my gameplays along with 5.1 audio i need to run both the CaptureExpress software (for video) and XID_MultiAudioCapture software (for audio) AT THE SAME DAMN TIME. This to me seems ridiculous, if the hardware supports the ability for capturing 5.1 audio then why not include the option in there main capture software program rather than going the half arse way and making the user have to run 2 programs at once!!??, as it stands atm im left with 2 files, which isnt ideal really.

It would appear that you can use the SDK download to build your own program or drivers or something, what ever it is its completely out of my comfort zone.

Does anyone know of a capture software that has the ability to select 5.1 audio, otherwise i will probably send the card back as its not doing what it advertised!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe GraphStudio would work because the device has DirectShow drivers and is detected as a webcam. It's only a guess though because I don't have this device and DirectShow filters don't always allow access to every feature a capture device has to offer.

[Edit]I'm not sure you will like using GraphStudio any better than the SDK as it is essentially a software development tool.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the suggestion I'll give it a go. Just seems like a complete oversight not include an option to select 5.1 audio in their main capture software and have a completely different bit of software that captures up to 7.1 audio ONLY. You would have thought that they would of pushed this as its probably one of the only consumer capture cards that actually has the ability to capture multichannel audio and would be a massive selling point if it was implemented correctly.

Guess I can only hope they update their capture software to include multichannel support in the future.

Does anyone know anything about SDK development?, is the SDK file linked above give the ability to actually build a capture suite that has both video and audio multichannel capabilities?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BlockABoots View Post
    Does anyone know anything about SDK development?, is the SDK file linked above give the ability to actually build a capture suite that has both video and audio multichannel capabilities?
    I know very little about SDKs, but obviously Magewell's reason for including an SDK to help programmers develop custom applications for their hardware. Even so, I expect that a prospective developer still need to have some understanding of DirectShow (plus perhaps Media Foundation) and have good programming skills to use the SDK.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Nov 2015 at 09:47. Reason: forgot about Media Foundation
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Maybe GraphStudio would work because the device has DirectShow drivers and is detected as a webcam. It's only a guess though because I don't have this device and DirectShow filters don't always allow access to every feature a capture device has to offer.

[Edit]I'm not sure you will like using GraphStudio any better than the SDK as it is essentially a software development tool.
    Can you give me any insight on how i should be setting up GrapStudio to get 5.1 audio out of the Magewell when using there CaptureExpress software please?

The Magewell card seems to have 2 entries in the filter list...

Audio (00 Pro Capture HDMI) ACM/ICM
    Audio (00 Pro Capture HDMI) PNP
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM

Can you give me any insight on how i should be setting up GrapStudio to get 5.1 audio out of the Magewell when using there CaptureExpress software please?

The Magewell card seems to have 2 entries in the filter list...

Audio (00 Pro Capture HDMI) ACM/ICM
    Audio (00 Pro Capture HDMI) PNP
    Sorry, but I don't really have any insight into whether or not it is even possible to add functionality to the CaptureExpress software. Does Magewell provide the source code for CaptureExpress?

When I suggested GraphStudio, I meant for you to attempt to use GraphStudio by itself for capturing or use the graph with a script. How much prior experience do you have building filter graphs with GraphStudio or GraphEdit?
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Nov 2015 at 22:50. Reason: Ask about source code
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, but I don't really have any insight into whether or not it is even possible to add functionality to the CaptureExpress software. Does Magewell provide the source code for CaptureExpress?

When I suggested GraphStudio, I meant for you to attempt to use GraphStudio by itself for capturing or use the graph with a script. How much prior experience do you have building filter graphs with GraphStudio or GraphEdit?
    Bugger all I'm afraid in this capacity, only thing I've ever fine if send the audio from my old capture device to direct sound deliver of my sound card, which is the most simplest thing you can probably do, but that was in GraphEdit.

Regarding the source code for CaptureExpress, I though that was in the SDK.zip file from there website?

As I said early just seems super odd to not include an option to select 5.1 or 7.1 audio in their main capture software when the card is capable of doing it and is (as far as I know) the only card on the market that can capture multichannel over hdmi for capturing!
    Last edited by BlockABoots; 21st Nov 2015 at 04:42.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM

Bugger all I'm afraid in this capacity, only thing I've ever fine if send the audio from my old capture device to direct sound deliver of my sound card, which is the most simplest thing you can probably do, but that was in GraphEdit.

Regarding the source code for CaptureExpress, I though that was in the SDK.zip file from there website?

As I said early just seems super odd to not include an option to select 5.1 or 7.1 audio in their main capture software when the card is capable of doing it and is (as far as I know) the only card on the market that can capture multichannel over hdmi for capturing!
    GraphStudio works much the same as GraphEdit.

It looks like you have built a filter graph before, but don't have a lot of experience with them. Building a graph for a new device often involves a lot of trial and error in selecting and configuring the filters. The WDM streaming crossbar for the capture device is first, then its WDM streaming capture filter, then the video encoder and audio encoder (you may not need an audio encoder), then the multiplexer (if you intend to multiplex the video and audio), and finally one or more dump filters to write the captured data to a file. Device configuration happens in the crossbar and capture filters. Unfortunately, since I don't have your capture device I can't offer device-specific help with this task.

Since this is HDMI, the audio is provided in digital form. It could be LPCM or a compressed format like AC3. I was thinking that it might be possible to capture the audio stream as is and write it to a dump file even if you can't multiplex it with the video stream in GraphEdit using the available multiplexers for your device.

I can't tell you why the ability to capture 5.1 or 7.1 audio isn't available in the included capture software. If the source code for the software is available, a good programmer with experience using DirectShow+Media Foundation might be able to modify it, but I can't give you any help with that. I don't know anything about DirectShow or Media Foundation programming.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 21st Nov 2015 at 14:01. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your help but this seems above my knowledge. I have tweeted Magewell asking if 5.1 and 7.1 can be enabled in an update for the CaptureExpress software. Im suprised there isnt other capture software about that allows to select multichannel audio
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your help but this seems above my knowledge. I have tweeted Magewell asking if 5.1 and 7.1 can be enabled in an update for the CaptureExpress software. Im suprised there isnt other capture software about that allows to select multichannel audio
    Only a handful of devices which use software for encoding provide anything more than stereo audio, so for the most part third-party software doesn't need to be designed to do more. Only Magewell can tell you why their software cannot capture multi-channel audio from an HDMI capture device that can provide it.

The problem of how to encode multichannel LPCM audio to other formats might be part of it. Licensing encoders adds to the cost of software.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    (as far as I know) the only card on the market that can capture multichannel over hdmi for capturing!
    No idea what your budget is, but Blackmagic makes some too (not without their own problems). As do some other manufacturers in the same category as Magewell (unsupported Chinese frame grabbers).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Only a handful of devices which use software for encoding provide anything more than stereo audio, so for the most part third-party software doesn't need to be designed to do more. Only Magewell can tell you why their software cannot capture multi-channel audio from an HDMI capture device that can provide it.

The problem of how to encode multichannel LPCM audio to other formats might be part of it. Licensing encoders adds to the cost of software.
    Yeah maybe, well their already there as the 'XID_MultiAudioCapture.exe' program in the sdk.zip file can capture up to 7.1 audio, but again that programs just for audio on its own, they just need to take the next step and actual implement that into their main capture software bundled with the card!

Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    (o idea what your budget is, but Blackmagic makes some too (not without their own problems). As do some other manufacturers in the same category as Magewell (unsupported Chinese frame grabbers).
    Well i just dropped almost £200 on this, so around that mark. If i dont get a reasonable reply back from Magewell ill just send it back, as it doesnt do what it advertised properly!

So theres Blackmagic cards that support the capture of 5.1 audio over HDMI?, what issues do these blackmagic cards have then??

Whats these other Chinese frame grabbers you refer to please??
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

Yeah maybe, well their already there as the 'XID_MultiAudioCapture.exe' program in the sdk.zip file can capture up to 7.1 audio, but again that programs just for audio on its own, they just need to take the next step and actual implement that into their main capture software bundled with the card!

Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    (o idea what your budget is, but Blackmagic makes some too (not without their own problems). As do some other manufacturers in the same category as Magewell (unsupported Chinese frame grabbers).
    Well i just dropped almost £200 on this, so around that mark. If i dont get a reasonable reply back from Magewell ill just send it back, as it doesnt do what it advertised properly!

So theres Blackmagic cards that support the capture of 5.1 audio over HDMI?, what issues do these blackmagic cards have then??

Whats these other Chinese frame grabbers you refer to please??
    I don't think you find what you wamt the way you want it most likely do to licensing and reason why they have SDK for you fig it out and dose what it was advertised just not way you want which meant for professional who has in houes developer or will to hier a developer.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looking at the specs, the Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K and Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle devices can accept up to 8 channel audio input via HDMI. Is there any software available for them able to capture it? I don't know.

Looking at user reviews for these cards reveals many unhappy buyers. For one thing, these devices have system requirements which many PCs do not meet, but many buyers are unaware of this.

vaporeon800 has or had a Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K, although he is mainly interested in analog capture, he did mention HDMI here
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/370738-BMD-Intensity-Pro-4K-includes-a-professional...BC-%28Nope!%29
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the link, i got a replay back from Magewell. I ask the question weather the software team could add the ability to add 5.1 audio option in their CaptureExpress software., and the replay back...

"Thank you for your suggestion. Our Software Development team will think about it."

I dont think i can wait around for them to 'think' about adding this feature really and will have to send the card back. Maybe ill re-buy it in the future if they ever add 5.1 audio capture
    Quote Quote