VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Please can someone tell me the name of a good ipod coverter for avi to mp4 please.

I have had some good ones in the past but whenever i done it the audio was out of sync with the video.

can someone tell me a converter where the audio stays in sync with the video

Thanks In Advance,
    SaM*T
    SaM*T
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SaM*T
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try http://www.videora.com/

I have used this with much success.
    Quote Quote  
  4. www.geocities.com/j.kint download both of the zips and use it just drag and drop. it's free and easy. I hacked it from 3gp_converter. I'm releasing a new version with a new gui in about two weeks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    SaM*T, Please wait a day or two before bumping your topic. From our rules:
    Please try not to "bump" your topic.
    Replying to your own topic to get it to the top is annoying. Try to have some patience, this is a bulletin board, not IRC. It may take some time (e.g., one or two days) before someone can answer your query or question.
    Moderator redwudz

If you meant to add to your original post, you can edit it instead.

And since your are asking about a ipod, this thread would get more answers in our Portable Video forum. Moving you.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are wanting 640x480 then I think the program that ssj2_goha mentioned is the best one right now. There are only a handful of programs on Windows doing 640x480. Jesterware products do, but they crashed constantly for me and were a headache. Quicktime was also a headache for me. ssj2_goha's program has been the best for me and he is definately making it even better. There is a topic a few posts down from this one about it. I did change some of his code for myself to get 1500kbps encodes, but none the less it is a good option and very easy to use. If you are wanting 320x240 then I think there are many possibilities.

Thanks,
    John
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ADStech Instant Video To-Go wins hands down! It's 2 to 3 times faster and better than anything else I've tried, and it's quite easy to use. I even converted a 25fps PAL video to 30fps NTSC without any special measures. PM a 30 second clip to me, I'll convert it and PM it back to you.

http://www.adstech.com/products/RDX-160/intro/RDX-160_intro.asp?pid=RDX-160

Specifications:

Includes
    Instant Video To--Go, Video Transfer Accelerator device
    6-inch USB 2.0 Extension cable
    CD: Device Drivers & ArcSoft Media Converter 2
    Quick Guide
    Carrying Pouch

Video Player Compatibility:
    Apple iPod with video playback capabilities
    Sony PSP (latest firmware 2.81 required)
    Cell phones and other devices with H.264 video playback capabilities

Compatible Formats:
    Most standard video files that you can play on your PC
    MPEG-1
    MPEG-2
    VOB (unprotected)
    DivX
    Quicktime Movie

Conversion Formats:

H.264 output formats accelerated via Video To-Go hardware conversion:

iPod High – 640 x 480, 1,536 kpbs, 30 frames per second, AAC audio 48 KHz, 64 kbps

iPod High – 320 x 240, 768Kbps, 30 frames per second, AAC audio 48 KHz, 64 kbps

iPod Medium – 320 x 240, 512 kbps, 30 frames per second, AAC audio 48 KHz, 64 kbps

iPod Low – 320 x 240, 320 kbps, 15 frames per seconds, AAC audio 48 KHz, 64 kbps

Sony PSP High - 320 x 240, 768 kbps, 30 frames per seconds, AAC audio 24 KHz, 64 kbps

Sony PSP Medium - 320 x 240, 512 kbps, 30 frames per seconds, AAC audio 24 KHz, 64 kbps

Sony PSP Low - 320 x 240, 320 kbps, 15 frames per seconds, AAC audio 24 KHz, 64 kbps

Other formats supported with ArcSoft Media Converter software conversion:

MPEG-4 encoded AVI file

Windows Media
    MPEG-4 encoded ASF file

QuickTime movie
    MPEG-1

3GP video
    3G2 video
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought the ADS Tech Video to go device and was nothing, but dissapointed. I waited a week for a reply from support with not good news and I returned the device. Even though it was not a big issue it only ran at real time for me, not near the gain I expected, but the main issue was that it would not maintain a 16x9 aspect ratio. It converted it to a weird 4x3. I guess if people were only going to view stuff on an iPod it might work, but anyone wanting to use TV out will probably want to think abou this very hard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by crash447
    I bought the ADS Tech Video to go device and was nothing, but dissapointed. I waited a week for a reply from support with not good news and I returned the device. Even though it was not a big issue it only ran at real time for me, not near the gain I expected, but the main issue was that it would not maintain a 16x9 aspect ratio. It converted it to a weird 4x3. I guess if people were only going to view stuff on an iPod it might work, but anyone wanting to use TV out will probably want to think abou this very hard.
    That's weird, I've had none of the problems you mentioned. I wonder if there was a problem with the device or some sort of software conflict???
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ADS notified me that the device does not maintain a 16x9 aspect ratio and they did not know if it ever would. That did not seem at all concerned even though this is something pretty important when it comes to video work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by crash447
    ...does not maintain a 16x9 aspect ratio...
    No problem here. No problems at all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now I'm confused. I just checked some files I converted with Instant Video To-Go, indeed they have a 4x3 flag, and yet they playback in 16x9 with, Quicktime, Nero Showtime, and on my iPod. I hope I'm not Jinxed now...
    Quote Quote  
  13. The files are probably "padded" extra pixels put on the top and bottom to make the files 4X3. This is letterboxing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ssj2_goha
    The files are probably "padded" extra pixels put on the top and bottom to make the files 4X3. This is letterboxing.
    The original files are true 16x9, no letterboxing. So the padding would be on the converted files. That works for me!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    As to the OP's question, the above mentioned 3GP Converter hack by ssj2_goha is a good place to start, The new version of SUPER is much improved over it's former self as well, Nero Recode isn't free but is chimpishly simple to use and get Great results, however as of yet doesn't support Hi Res H.264. There is a huge difference between what looks good on that little 320x240 screen and what looks good on a HDTV.
    Quote Quote