VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello! I have a problem transferring some VHS to DVD and I thought maybe you could help me
    OK, I have a LG DVD recorder, region2 (I'm in Europe) and a Panasonic VCR that can play NTSC on PAL TV (it converts to PAL-60, if I've read this forums correctly).
    I want to transfer some VHS to DVD, they are not commercial VHS, only programs and shows taped from TV. When I try it with my own PAL tapes ther is no problem. But an american friend sent me some NTSC tapes (again, not commercial) and then I do have some problems:
    First, the image "shrinks" vertically, so the bootom of the screen is blank/grey.Second, and more important, when I try to record with the DVD recorder, in some minutes (it varies, sometimes is 1 minute but sometimes is 5-10 minutes) the recording stops automatically and it says "playing forbidden".
    Why can this be happenin and how could I solve it? Can it be the macromedia problem that has been mentioned several times? But they are taped TV shows, not commercial movies, and furthermore I have only problems with NTSC tapes... can it be that the DVD recordes ras problems reading the PAL-60 signal or something like that? I really have no idea, so sorry if I'm saying stupid hypothesis.
    Any advice/idea/solution would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I do not think natsc output as PAL 60 can be recorded sucessfully.

You have to have a ntsc vcr, which is very tedious, as none )well cheap ones anyway) will work on 220 volt.

If this is a one (or few off) you can get a service to do it, I've looked fr so called multisystem vcrs and even they output as pal 60, unless you pay mega dollars for a samsung 4000w etc or like this on ebay:-

http://cgi.ebay.ca/HITACHI-MULTI-SYSTEM-VCR-VT-M70EM_W0QQitemZ190011339243QQihZ009QQca...QQcmdZViewItem

Your dvd recorder MAY record in ntsc as well look at the set up menu,but again you need a vcr to play them as ntsc, as most dvd players in the UK play ntsc dvd;'s fine.

If it were a one off I'd convert it for you.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you very much for your answer. I feared it would be a "pal/pal60/ntsc compatibility" problem . Well, at least now I know!
    Thanks for your help and for your advices
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You either need to use a proper multistandard VCR which can output
    PAL50, or you might be able to use a PC to capture the PAL60 and burn it
    to a DVD in the PC, depending on what capture card you use.
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. hello! Thanks for the insight!
    My sister insited in taking the VCR to the store and ask the technician. He said it was a copy protection issue with the tapes. He told us that even non-commercial tapes could have this copy protection system (which I really didn't expect!), and that we should buy a "filter" to record the tapes to DVD. If I have read the forums correctly, he was referring to macrovision problems, and the filter would be a TBC, right? I insisted that the problem was only with the NTSC tapes and not with my own PAL tapes, but he said it was just coincidence (?) that my american friend's tapes had that copy protection.
    So now I'm confused. Should I try a filter? Many people in this forum say the quality is very bad with this method. Or should I buy a capture card? But it would have to be able to capture PAL60. And would a capture card solve the copy protection issue?I would need DVD Decrypter or some other program in my PC, right?Or is it more complicated than that?
    Thanks very much for your patience, your help and your advice, and sorry for my "newbie-ness"!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'm not sure if this will help you or not, but I went the other way, going from PAL, to NTSC, and without having a converter it made it a bit tricky. How I got around this, is ran the video from a PAL VCR into my PC equipped with a TV card that could accept a PAL signal, made it full screen, and then sent the video output from my computer back to the DVD recorder, in my case as an NTSC signal.

It's a bit crude but it worked. A capture card / TV out card is probably alot cheaper than a TBC.

Just a thought.
    Quote Quote