VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I have come across a Kramer video switch/scaler that apparently has a built in TBC.

https://k.kramerav.com/downloads/pdf/product/1/VP-725DS.pdf

My plan is to finally start digitizing the old analogue tapes from both my own and may wife's family collection and having followed this forum for the last 20 years i know it all starts with a TBC.

The Kramer switch seems to apply TBC for both composite and SVideo inputs, and will at least convert/upscale the result to DVI, maybe also to the original connection types.

Now, DVI can hopefully be sent to a HDMI capture device, and if the analogue outputs work too, there are tons of the more conventional methods and hardware that can be used to capture the video.

I can get the unit for about $250, but I’m worried about two things, the quality of the TBC and the ability to select output to whatever becomes convenient.

The manual doesn’t say anything about the TBC, which is worrying, but on the other hand Kramer seems to be a proper brand that wouldn’t muck about.

Any thoughts?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    These oddball devices require testing, it's hard to come by a member who already tried one and if you do there is still a chance that it might not work with your VCR/tapes. $250 is too steep for testing unless you have a return policy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It looks like it doesn't support 576i, so there will be some scaling whatever resolution you chose. If you don't want to spend a ton of money for the full high-end setups using a dvd-recorder (Panasonic, or less resilient to bad signals newer Sony/Pioneer models and certain Toshibas) to send the video through for stabilization to a capture card, either analog or hdmi (+splitter), is a much more well-tested method.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is not what you think it is, not what you want.
    Not a TBC.
    Not for consumer analog formats.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    This is not what you think it is, not what you want.
    Not a TBC.
    Not for consumer analog formats.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote