VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I don't mean to beat this issue to death...

I have a Sony DRU-500A with the upgraded firmware.

From all the posts, I have concluded that ACCU, Ritek, and Princo are all good media to use. Has anyone used any of these at 2x? or Only 1x?

I called the dude at shop4tech and asked him about the Ritek media they carry. He "claimed" the Ritek would work at 2x with the Sony, But I'm not too confident with him.

Any feedback or recommendations?

I appreciate your help in advance....

GREAT SITE BTW!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Be carefull

The PRINCO DVD-R certified 2x (White lable with printed: "For Data & Video General 1x 2x") I bought in Belgium can NOT be burned at 2-speed in the DRU500A !!!

Taiyo Yuden DVD-R certified 2x will burn at 2x but are expensive

So I am still looking for cheap DVD-R that will burn at 2x on my SONY and that I can buy (in an online shop) in Europe.

-BK-
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone tried CHOICE DVD-R 2x ???

-BK-
    Quote Quote  
  4. Good question. I'm in the same spot and would like to know as well.

Cheap DVD-R's that burn at 2X? or even better 4x?

Links are great also. Thanks!
    Sony VAIO P4-1.6GHz, 512MB, 80GB
    Sony DRU-500A 1.0d firmware update
    WinXP

Currently using DVD Decrypter, DVD2AVI, TMPEnc, Chapter Xtractor & DVD Maestro
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Good news
    Today I tested 2 different brands of DVD-R 2x !

First I tested WHITE LABEL DVD-R 2x Gold Edition Generation 4.
    I burned a movie (Little Mermaid I) using RecordNow MAX 4.5.
    Size = 4.354,78 MB - Recording time = 27 minutes :P

Second I tested CHOICE DVD-R 2x Generation 3.
    I burned a movie (101 Dalmatians 2) using RecordNow MAX 4.5.
    Size = 4.343,44 MB - Recording time = 29 minutes :P

Both movies play perfect in my PC DVD LG and in my standalone DVD player Samsung DVD-S424.

A bit odd is the fact that on WHITE LABEL's website they say: Manufactured on the best quality Princo (Taiwan) Discs ???

I tried PRINCO's 2x but they could only be burned at 1x
    The PRINCO's are less expensive over here

-BK-
    Quote Quote  
  6. The 2X DVD-R's with the Meritline label only burn at 1X. Nero says they're at 2X, but it takes 50 minutes for a full data DVD.

Airbear
    Quote Quote  
  7. -BK-: Do you test the whitelabel color that are being sold in bigpockets?... are that the same that the gold that you test in that drive?... is it only a change of color?... I'm very interesting in get this drive and use this dvd-r media on it...

Davidgp
    Quote Quote  
  8. The 2x DVD-R from www.allmediaoutlet.com work for me. $1.15 each shipped on a 25 spindle.

http://www.allmediaoutlet.com/P-DVDR-4.7-GEN2Xfree.html
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks for the info. Mine should be here by the end of the week. $1.15 is a very good price on 2X DVD-R's. It may take 8-10 minutes longer to burn a data DVD using 2X DVD-R than it does with 2.4X DVD+R, but since the cheapest +R media I can find is around $2 it's worth the wait.

airbear
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davidgp
    -BK-: Do you test the whitelabel color that are being sold in bigpockets?... are that the same that the gold that you test in that drive?... is it only a change of color?... I'm very interesting in get this drive and use this dvd-r media on it...

Davidgp

Yes Davidgp, it is the yellow coloured WHITE LABEL DVD-R's they sell at bigpockets. They're called gold edition and are Generation 4 2-speed...

Friday I ordered 100 pcs DATASAFE/DATAWRITE Classic Gen 3 2-speed at bigpockets as they also work at 2x on the Sony!

-BK-
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks for the info -BK-... that's what I need to order some dvd-r to bigpockets... first to be sure... befero buy anything .

Davidgp
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    CHOICE DVD-R 2x Generation 3 : Noticed playback problems on my Philips DVD 622. Didn't play at all on my friend's Kiss DVD player.

Bulkpaq 2x seems to work too, but I have only done 1 test, and the "movie" was less than 4 Gb.
    [/quote]
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just received my DATASAFE/DATAWRITE 2x which I ordered last saturday at Bigpockets
    They work perfect at 2x on the DRU500.
    Nice service and quick delivery from UK to belgium

-BK-
    Quote Quote  
  14. Anyone here test the: Whitelabel Colour Top 4.7gb DVD-R
    that are being sold at bigpokets???

Davidgp
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tested these discs from Bigpockets...
    The write at 2x on my SONY DRU500A.
    No coasters so far!

-BK-
    Quote Quote  
  16. Nope... there is two different disk of WhiteLabel... one that can be writen at 2x (link) and another one that only can be writen at 1x (link). I'm asking for the 1x one's... or that WhiteLabel Colour can be writtern at 2x?

Davidgp
    Quote Quote  
  17. [b]Yes Davidgp, it is the yellow coloured WHITE LABEL DVD-R's they sell at bigpockets. They're called gold edition and are Generation 4 2-speed
    Friday I ordered 100 pcs DATASAFE/DATAWRITE Classic Gen 3 2-speed at bigpockets as they also work at 2x on the Sony!
    Well, ive used both of theese brands on the sony. Ive only had success burning data on them. Xbox is a big no no with either of theese brands, Ive just ordered the Datasafe classic (with Ritek dye) from 121.cdr
    It says they have tested them in the sony and on the xbox. I also emailed them for clarification.
    Quote Quote