VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My buddy wants to get a dvd burner for his mac...any suggestions? He doesn't want to break the bank either.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get either the sony or the Pioneer. Either should work fine.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So i can just go to any store/etailer and pick up say a Pioneer DVR-105 like I would for a PC and install in a mac and the mac will detect it? I was thinking that the DVDR would have to say "for MAC" too on the box somewhere or in the description.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it should be just that easy. Apple uses a few brands of DVD-R/+R drives, and they are all "industry standard".

Last week (10/01/03) bought a Sony DW-U10A at my local discount PC-parts store (OEM - no box or packaging, $180USD) and installed it in my G4 DP-450.

OS X recognises it as "fully supported". I've burned 4X DVD-Rs from the Desktop, iTunes, DVDSP2.

There is a website which has a tutorial, with pictures, on how to do the swap (MacFixit??). I had a few-month-old copy of MacWorld - which ran a similar tutorial with pictures. Went pretty easy.

I'm hoping the rumored Panther (OS 10.3) support for DVD+R will allow me to burn/read both formats.

Mike
    Quote Quote