VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure if this is where this should be posted or not,

Recently I upgraded my monitor from a 15" philips LCD to a 20"Viewsonic. At that time, I also changed the input /output to the monitor from the standard VGA connection to a DVI connection. Everything has been working fine...have seen all the programs on my PC and games without issue...

Was doing some work in Vegas and needed to review some things on a DVD tutorial, so I put the DVD in the drive. I heard the audio just fine, but there was no video. Tried playing it in Realplayer, Windows Media Player...same results. Should also note that I have used both of these programs in the past for my DVD playback without a problem. I am using an older DVD RW drive (Philips DVD+RW)

I don't consider myself a computer novice by any means, but this has me stumped. Any thoughts???
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Black screen on video playback, audio works. Probably your overlay settings on your video card. For a quick fix try going to 'Control Panel>Display>Settings>Advanced>Troubleshoot' and move the slider down to about one third. If that works, look for a overlay adjustment in your video card settings, which would give better quality than lowering the hardware acceleration. It varies by manufacturer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If the acceleration doesn't work then I would update your videocard drivers(eg ATI,nVidia).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok...tried the control panel solution...reduced it to one third...wouldn't play the DVD at all so I increased it step by step until it would...at the first step it would play, still did the same thing.

Additionally, updated my nividia driver (GEFORCE 6600GT)...still nothing...

Any chance it could be the DVD player? Really can't justify buying a new one unless I am sure it is the drive (although having the faster write speeds would be nice)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try playing a video file from your hard drive, a DVD rip would be best. That would probably tell you if it's the DVD player. Usually they don't work at all when they fail. Your problem seems more related to the video card or it's settings.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does Anyone have ANY More thoughts on this...I have spent the entire weekend on this and I am about at wits end...

Here is what I have done...

1) Have updated all drivers.
    2) Removed and reinstalled the graphics card.
    3) Bought a newer DVD drive and installed it (it is having the same problem)
    4) Originally had the optical drives jumpered for cable select...changed the jumpers to a master/slave configuration
    5) Downloaded NVTweak to get access to all overlay settings within the graphics card...since I don't really know what I am doing, I swictched things one by one to see if they would have a difference...nothing did
    6) Hooked up my old monitor since it used to work with it connected...still had same issue.

It is still having the exact same problem. I throw a DVD in the drive, and no matter what player I use (Real Player, Windows Media Player, Jet Player), the screen comes up, it identifies the different chapters, and I hear the background music or the actual chapter if it is selected, but I see nothing but black.

It is ONLY from the optical drives...if I try to play a AVI file or a wmv file or a mpg file that is on my computer, it displays perfectly. Additionally, both of the optical drives can be used for data retrieval on CDs or DVDs without a problem. They just aren't displaying any form of video....

Would it be possible that this is a motherboard failure??? Again, EVERYTHING else in the computer is working great.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!! If you know someone who I could get in touch with, would love to find someone who could help me solve this...it is really holding up some projects I was working on.

Dave
    Quote Quote