VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    We have discovered a change in the Ridata 52x CD-R discs we have been using. We noticed the surface of the disc is not evenly white any longer. On further inspection, we discovered the inner ring on the back of the newer discs is clear, while the older discs had a silver inner ring. This makes a big difference in evenness of the white print surface. The part number on the packages is identical, but the printed code on the inner ring is different. The older discs with the silver inner ring start with a K (KCA612162146B00). The newer discs start with a U (UIA610154544H08). Does anyone know if these are "new" Ritek discs, or an odd batch?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, so I'm replying to my own post. Sue me.

But I wanted to let everyone know this particular Ritek problem was just the beginning of many we have experienced. Ritek seems to have HUGE quality control problems, and it's next to impossible to get a straight answer out of them. I might have more luck if I spoke Japanese, because their English is so poor. They seem to have a hard time understanding the question. Same problem with the people at Rima who seem to do their best to try to help.

A more recent problem is the quality of the printing on the surface of the white inkjet printable DVDs. We supplied 500 to a customer, and - after a month - they have become unacceptable, with 'fading' of solid colors of ink that were perfect immediately after printing.

Bye bye, Ritek.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for the head-up.
    Beside unacceptable printed results; what is the burn result for CD? Many already found out the poor quality of their DVD in the hard way.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mmbetz

I might have more luck if I spoke Japanese, because their English is so poor. They seem to have a hard time understanding the question. Same problem with the people at Rima who seem to do their best to try to help.
    Speaking Japanese wouldn't help you any; they're Chinese.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The CD-R media has been better than that of the DVD. But there are still inconsistencies, especially in the application of the inkjet printable surface. And there are no assurances that one batch will be identical to the next. Taiyo Yuden is hardly more expensive than the Ritek CD media, so that's pretty much a no-brainer. There is a bigger gap in the DVD media pricing.

And I guess I'd better start brushing up on my Chinese... but I heard a report on NPR today that suggested manufacturing is going to start coming back to the US. Thank goodness. They already killed my dog.
    Quote Quote