VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/9446

It looks like the Blu-ray Disc Founders (BDF) now have started working hard to establish the format as the successor to the DVD format. A couple of days ago the BDF announced in a press release that the Blu-ray Discs will not be more expensive to make than standard DVDs and the film studio Columbia TriStar (Sony Pictures) has recently also announced that it will start releasing movies in the BD format by the end of 2005.

Now there is a rumor that Sony’s next game console will use the BD format too:

According to a report by Asahi PC magazine, Sony may be considering using Blu-ray Disc (BD-ROM) technology in the PlayStation 3. The news comes from an interview that the magazine conducted with Kiyoshi Nishitani, Sony's management director in charge of Blu-ray Disc development and next-generation home electronics. In his interview about the future business strategies for Blu-ray Discs, Nishitani commented, "We'd like to establish a ground by adopting read-only BD-ROMs for a home video game console."

Nishitani's statement does not mention any concrete plans, and he also does not identify any specific console by name. However, Sony is unlikely to allow its division to work on a rival company's console or create a new peripheral for the PlayStation 2 or PSP just to read a Blu-ray Disc. The adoption of Blu-ray Discs by the PS3 would also help spread use of the format, similar to how the PS2 did with DVDs.

The complete article is available at Gamespot here. While there is much news about the Blu-ray Disc format I must say that there is remarkably little news about the competing HD-DVD format developed by NEC and Toshiba. I suspect however that in the end it’s the format that the majority of studios in Hollywood select that will be the real winner in this format war. If there will be one…
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It seems Sony won't allow Blu-Ray Disc Rom technology to it's rival consoles.
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/03/31/news_6092605.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    does that mean there's gonna be a www.bdrhelp.com
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've got my marker ready to crack the latest encryption 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Heard a rumour that Bill gates new xbox toy is going to be using 3 of the new 64bit cpu's as it's processing power.

Remember it's a rumour.
    I Have Always Been Here

Toshiba Regza 37Z3030D, Toshiba HD XE1 + EP-10 ( Both Multiregioned), Samsung BD-P1500 Blu Ray. OPPO DV-983H
    Quote Quote  
  6. Are DVDs not good enough anymore???

Technology is getting pretty ridiculous, most people have just converted to DVDs from VHS in the past couple years!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by chipy66
    Are DVDs not good enough anymore???!
    Nothing is ever good enough. Thats progress for you.
    Quote Quote