VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi there,

I've decided to rip all of my old RC1 Avengers DVDs to MKV/AVC/AC3 for DLNA. Ripping itself goes fine, but I've come across an encoding issue I can't solve: By stepping through the ripped video frame by frame I thought enabling Vidcoder's (standard) detelecine filter might be appropriate. And I set a fixed frame rate of 23,976. The resulting video runs smoothly but still has combing artifacts. Enabling the (standard) decombing filter as well gives a better result, but from what I've read so far the detelecine filter alone is supposed to get rid of all combing.

If anybody would like to have a go at what's going wrong, I've upload a short chapter in original format (85MB) HERE.

Hints highly appreciated,
    Low
    Quote Quote  
  2. I don't use Vidcoder and so have no idea why 'detelecine' doesn't work for your source. I had a look at the sample and it easily and perfectly IVTC's using AviSynth's TIVTC filter. So, if you can't get it sorted out you could use an AviSynth script in a different encoding program.
    Enabling the (standard) decombing filter as well gives a better result, but from what I've read so far the detelecine filter alone is supposed to get rid of all combing.
    Yes, the IVTC works so well that no deinterlacing afterwards should be necessary.

Maybe someone else will come along with the answer to your question.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    In the meantime I dug out the old Staxrip, installed its latest version and TIVTC filter and gave it a try. The result with the filter's defaults tfm() and tdecimate() looks pretty good at first sight.

The resulting video has a cfr of 23.976, which is just what I expected. Can we rely on TIVTC to discard just the right number of frames to reduce the frame rate to 23.976? Or is there a general parameter for tdecimate to make sure the encoded video will have the correct cfr?
    Last edited by Lowlander; 29th Apr 2015 at 07:02.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Lowlander View Post
    Can we rely on TIVTC to discard just the right number of frames to reduce the frame rate to 23.976? Or is there a general parameter for tdecimate to make sure the encoded video will have the correct cfr?
    After field matching (TFM) you would normally have reconstructed progressive frames where one frame in five is repeated. The defaults for TDecimate are to use a cycle of five frames and to remove one frame per cycle. After removing one frame in five you'll be left with 23.976fps.

So yes, you can rely on tdecimate to output 23.976fps.
    Quote Quote