VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    Hello.... I got this information from two DVD recorders after converting mini dv tapes by them.
    I would like someone more knowledgeable on the subject, to explain to me what this information represents.

I always thought a little better when I record at Philips (not that much, but better). Does this information say why philips is a little better?

Note: I always record in maximum quality on both.
    LG: Quality XP.
    Philips: Quality 1 hour.

I appreciate if someone explains it to me in a way that I, a not so layman, can understand. I will translate to Portuguese.

[Attachment 64888 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 64890 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. The bitrate should be self expaining : 9665 kb/s versus 6562 kb/s. (low birate = lots of blocking, blurry / higher birate: better fine grain/textures, less blocking). ~9500 kb/s that's the maximum bitrate you can (and should) expect on a dvd disc. And if you take a dvd recorder with a hdd you can go up to ~ 14000 kb/s (old Sony RDR HXD 870-1070 line) on the hard drive.
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    The bitrate should be self expaining : 9665 kb/s versus 6562 kb/s. (low birate = lots of blocking, blurry / higher birate: better fine grain/textures, less blocking). ~9500 kb/s that's the maximum bitrate you can (and should) expect on a dvd disc. And if you take a dvd recorder with a hdd you can go up to ~ 14000 kb/s (old Sony RDR HXD 870-1070 line) on the hard drive.

Thanks. I can understando now. I am hunting this dvd recorder with a hd, its very expansive. What would be better or equal to the dvd hd recorder?
    Quote Quote  
  4. A lossless capture on your computer would be better; Sony's i've mentionned have hdmi out, so if you buy a hdmi capture card that'll be optimum imo
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    A lossless capture on your computer would be better; Sony's i've mentionned have hdmi out, so if you buy a hdmi capture card that'll be optimum imo
    Yes i know about the HDMI thing, it will really be nice to capture that way, but at the moment i can't.
    I like the results of capturing with DVD records specially when is mini DV tapes. When i capture with the computer i got really big archives/files, which its a nightmare with long tapes. I always do that with Xvid codecs i got really nice results. Any advice?

Here's how i do.
    [Attachment 64960 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 64961 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 64962 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote