VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Dear Sirs,

I bought an Ewent EW3706 video capture device. I use Arcsoft Total Media 3.5 for capturing the videos which is originally packed in the box.
    When I connect the VHS player to TV and the player is in "stop" mode, the TV screen is blue. This is the VHS player default screen.
    But when I connect the VHS player to the video grabber device and I use Total Media to watch the screen, the screen is black.
    Pressing play button on VHS player then I can watch the VHS cassette content in Total Media too. Why I don't see the blue screen in Total Media, just only in the TV? But this problem is not a big deal.

Some cassettes are very old and the tracking speed is not the best in these cassettes, so when I use the TV to watch the cassettes, black and white lines sometimes appear on the center of the TV screen (tracking speed problem / tracking lines), it's usual in VHS. And also the video is colourful in TV. So these old cassettes quality are good when I watch them on TV. But the main problem is when I use the video grabber device to watch these cassettes, in the Total Media the screen is flickering to black usually and the video is black and white, not colourful.
    I think the video grabber device is filtering the freezed pictures (the blue screen) and cassette problems (tracking lines) and maybe this is why I see black screen. I use RCA-SCART converter between the PC and the VHS player. Also I tried an other VHS player with no luck.

It would be great if I can capture the VHS cassettes how I see on the TV with a bit tracking lines and colourful screen.

Could you advice something to solve this problem? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The signal/character generator used when a tape isn't playing doesn't put out a perfect analog signal. Many capture devices will not display/capture it.

For the tape problems you need a time base corrector. Passing the signal through an old DVD recorder like the Panasonic ES10 or ES15 will clean up the time base for the capture device. Search these forums for ES10 or ES15 and you'll see many examples.
    Quote Quote