VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was cleaning my SVHS Mitsubishi HS-U748, then it malfunctioned. It won't do anything; play, fast forward or rewind. I've attached a video what happens when I press play, rewind or fast forward.

Attached is the service manual.
    Image Attached Thumbnails mitsubishi_hs-u748_sm.pdf  

Image Attached Files
    Last edited by digicube; 13th Jun 2017 at 14:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Has it ever functioned normally without the lid/top cover on?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have never operated it with the lid cover off.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Put the lid back on and see if it works. VCRs(all of them?) have sensors that shut them down when bright light gets in.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It still doesn't work with the lid cover on. Could it be a belt issue?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Did you happen to use any sort of compressed air on your vcr? If you did leave it off for a full 3-4 days and the try it again and it should work. If you used no compressed air then disregard this
    Quote Quote  
  7. No I don't use compressed air since it can be expensive. I use electric duster or hand squished air blower. This VCR is clean so there was no need, I just cleaned the heads and roller.

This VCR is a Turbodrive. I heard high speed rewind/ff is bad, so I have a feeling it could be a loose belt or broken gear. Or the mode switch just needs a cleaning.
    Last edited by digicube; 10th Jun 2017 at 16:07.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have this VCR also, I've never seen these symptoms.
    On mine, the VCR lacks strength when FF or RW, and often slows down and stops before the end of the tape. Because of this
    I have opened it and removed the chassis for closer examination.

The mode switch is that big black wheel you see in your video, upper right sitting under the sideways motor .
    I don't know whether my problem is related to yours or not. I do have a copy of the service manual and can post it here
    if you need it.
    Last edited by davexnet; 10th Jun 2017 at 17:00. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  9. The big black wheel is a mode switch? I thought mode switch are small. The service manual would be helpful. Please post it here. Thanks.

I'm would like to clean the mode switch.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with you about the mode switch, I was expecting something small on the underside of the chassis, as seen in the many repair
    videos on Youtube, but I couldn't find anything. (If you find something let me know)

Here is the manual
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. According to the service manual on page 8, the mode switch is small and on the underside of the chassis.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by digicube View Post
    According to the service manual on page 8, the mode switch is small and on the underside of the chassis.
    Are you looking at figure 2-13 "mode position unit" on page 8? I saw that also, it's a fixed block, no moving parts and no electrical
    connections. Best I could do was clean the outside. That parts seems to be measuring the position of the big black wheel,
    mentioned earlier, and relaying an optical signal to some sensors below the chassis on the main board.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yes figure 2-13. So it seems the mode switch on this VCR is different from the usual mode switch. I've successfully removed the chassis.

I've circled the mode switch and the mode switch sensors (4)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1453.JPG
Views:	801
Size:	851.2 KB
ID:	41875  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1454.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	41877  

Last edited by digicube; 10th Jun 2017 at 17:40.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes the two sensors at the bottom are the reel table sensors and the one in the middle is for the end of tape light (I think)
    Not much you can do with them. Regarding that big black wheel, make sure its edges are clean as that can affect the associated sensor.
    Good luck with it, let me know if you find anything interesting
    Quote Quote  
  15. This is what one person I asked said. "I could see the tape loading mechanism working, but it didn't appear that take up reel was winding the tape in. Perhaps the tape sensor doesn't detect any movement of the supply and take up reel, so it immediately goes into shut down?"

So it seems something is up with the supply and take up reel.

Maybe a capacitor has gone bad in the capstan motor assembly.

The VCR will repeat this tape loading action if I reset it with a tape inside. It's like a self-test that it needs to pass.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by digicube; 11th Jun 2017 at 04:51.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Wow I just found out Turbodrive decks don't have mode switches.

PHILIPS TURBO DECK
    Alan J. Roberts describes the main features of the Philips Turbo VCR
    deck mechanism and provides notes on general servicing and some points
    that can cause confusion
    #1 Intro
    The Philips Turbo VCR mechanism has been around for a number of years
    and has proved to be efficient and reliable. The wind/rewind speed is
    very fast, hence its name. A unique feature is the absence of a mode
    switch. Replacement parts are usually supplied as kits, so that all
    associated gears or levers are replaced at the same time, ensuring a
    reliable repair.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Welp looks like the more I tinker with it, the worse it gets. I think I've messed up the mode position and since it uses optical sensors, I don't know how to align it.

2 SVHS VCRs to the landfill.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Did you pull out that big black wheel? I did this myself once but there is either something on the underside that lines up
    or there is an arrow - I remember seeing something when I put it back. Looking at the manual figure 2-18-2 suggests there is
    a hole to look for
    Quote Quote  
  19. No. I pulled out the capstan motor. It auto shuts off even when I detached the chassis, so I think the problem lies on the main PCB.
    Quote Quote  
  20. What is the device she's using called? https://youtu.be/PQhQzR2TQKk?t=307
    Quote Quote  
  21. Last edited by jagabo; 13th Jun 2017 at 20:12.
    Quote Quote