VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. SRT subtitltes show in preview (but sound not play) but no added sound and burned subtitles in resulted movie why?
    i use ffmpegx 0.0.9y.t i choice wav for audio track and srt file for text. and video is m2v. and i choice vob subtitle section burned. i can post even pictures for my settings if helps. and tips how i can make movie form tv program. i really used hours get correct result.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Please be accurate in describing what you want, what you have and what you tried.
    1/ What format is your goal? What should it be playable on?
    2/ What format is your source tv program? Container/video codec/audio codec.
    3/ The settings in pictures would help. The log would help too. You may access the log by clicking the blue "i" in the Progress window after a conversion attempt.
    Quote Quote  
  3. 1: i try make normal dvd for bit older player.
    2: my source file is m2v (file name extension) and i understanded its mp2.and audio is wav format and text is srt file.
    btw now i give new mencoder,mplayer what ffmpegx page have for it. now preview shows video and time code but not text. nothing else changed i try soon post pics of settings and log.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the ffmpegX general discussion forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Now there is my settings. i removed filenames but their expansions are .m2v (for video),.mp2.wav for audio (file size says its wav),and for subtitles is .srt. source file made i "split" with project x is made with Elgato Eyetv Hybrid. i post log soon but when i look it i dont see nothing what i can imagine bad. and i use .mpg expasion for destination file even if this is related somehow this thing. ask if you have any thing ask and i try ansver soon and clear as possible.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	s5.png
Views:	702
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	13497  

Click image for larger version

Name:	s4.png
Views:	717
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	13498  

Name:	s3.png
Views:	691
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	13499  

Name:	s2.png
Views:	673
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	13500  

Name:	s1.png
Views:	671
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	13501  

Quote Quote  
  6. For testing i changed destination profile to mpg2 for options "page" also i removed Author as checkmark. i must say i tested many programs with many settings
    and earlier before i installed new mencoder and mpalyer preview show subtitle texts but not now.
    Quote Quote  
  7. using preview with mplayer,mencoder it crashes i can post info about errors later when i remove file names form it.
    i
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would do that differently. I would try to avoid any (video) re-encoding in order to preserve quality.

Step 1: Muxing in a DVD compliant way.
    There is no need to Author just yet.
    Audio that is not AC3 or MPEG-1 layer II (.mp2) will be converted to .mp2. So convert audio first if you want AC3.

Step 2: Author with subtitles.
    These subtitles will be selectable on the DVD, i.e. you can turn them on and off. “Off” may be default, activate them with your remote.
    Note that the Geneva font for subtitles, provided with ffmpegX, is not a Unicode font and is not the same as your system font. Do test to see if this font contains all characters as specified in the .srt.

Step 3. Disk image
    Below is an alternative to using Toast.
    The DVD should have the UDF 1.02 file system (not HFS+), so we use software that can do this.
    ffmpegX claims that the output will be .dmg, but it writes a .img file.

Step 4. Burn
    Disk Utility allows you to burn image files to an optical disc. Do not select anything on the left side, then click the Burn icon. It will ask you to select an image file.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I text burned to picture by dvd player what i looked dont support setting text on/off. I try look still few rhings in it side (but i am very sure dont support easily text on/off not at least directly with button and using menus is complex and even them dont maybe solve thing) but i mainly made thread for burned in text. and to mp2 is accetable. ps. at least few special charters what i need are available in Geneva i mean ä,and ö.
    Last edited by JPQ; 17th Aug 2012 at 00:14. Reason: I fix bad typo
    Quote Quote  
  10. I tired author form tools "page" dont accept suö or srt subtiltes and my m2v video file. and i really want burned text. but mux page accepts wav and my m2v video problem is it seems srt or sup title files for this mux tool.
    Last edited by JPQ; 15th Aug 2012 at 20:00. Reason: I fixed mistake and added few info.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, for burned in subtitles you could do it like this:

1/ Open the .m2v file in ffmpegX.
    2/ Select the "DVD mpeg2enc" preset. This preset is needed to make step 9 possible.
    3/ In the Video tab, check/set the Video Bitrate.
    4/ In the Video tab, set the Autosize to "DVD" (4:3) or "DVD 16:9" (16:9).
    5/ In the Audio tab, disable "Encode audio". (The audio will be added later.)
    6/ In the Filters tab, use the "Load subs" to select your .srt file.
    7/ In the Filters tab, optionally set the Subtitle font, Text encoding, Font size and Position.
    8/ In the Options tab, disable "Letterbox" (to keep your video frame as-is).
    9/ In the Options tab, set "Decode with mplayer". This will make sure the subtitles are burned onto the video.
    10/ In the Options tab, disable "Author as ...". (Authoring will be done later.)
    11/ Encode.

(The Progress bar may go beyond 100%, just let it continue.)
    (The Progress may end in an error, as the app expected to do more, which it can't, because of missing audio.)

The output will be an MPV file. This is the equivalent of M2V: both are MPEG-2 video.
    Play it in MPlayer or VLC to check that the subtitles are there. There will be no sound yet.

12/ In the Tools>Mux tab, add the video (MPV) and audio (WAV) file.
    13/ In the Tools>Mux tab, check/set "Author as DVD (VIDEO_TS)".
    14/ Mux.

Output should be a folder with a name that ends in ".DVD".

The reason for this two-step process is that you started out with two files (video, audio), and you would want to convert only once. If you would mux before encoding, then the audio would be converted twice and lose quality.
    The "Add audio" option doesn't work for mpeg2enc encodings (but only for the ffmpeg engine).
    Quote Quote  
  12. I preview showed texts saving text failed 79% (without clear reason sometimes goed over 100%) and resulted file dont show subtitles there seems something still terribly wrong. Sometimes says something about file .supmux/Arial.ttf
    btw where i can get log of process ?
    Last edited by JPQ; 16th Aug 2012 at 18:16.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by JPQ View Post
    where i can get log of process?
    You may access the Process Information log by clicking the blue "i" in the Progress window after a conversion attempt.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I cannot get any good format my test file log.(i used test movie becouse i wanted test file what i really want with subtitles)
    i post little snipped for Log.

Encoding started on Fri Aug 17 01:13:37 EEST 2012
    movtoy4m
    Copyright 2002-2006 Johan Lindström
    All rights reserved..
    INFO: [yuvscaler] yuvscaler 1.9.0 (15-02-2004) is a general scaling utility for yuv frames
    INFO: [yuvscaler] (C) 2001-2004 Xavier Biquard <xbiquard@free.fr>, yuvscaler -h for help, or man yuvscaler
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING EXTENDED MMX for MOTION!
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING SSE and MMX for TRANSFORM!
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING EXTENDED MMX for PREDICTION!
    INFO: [yuvscaler] input: frame size: 720x576 pixels (622080 bytes)
    INFO: [yuvscaler] input: chroma: 4:2:0 JPEG/MPEG-1 (interstitial)
    INFO: [yuvscaler] input: frame rate: 25/1 fps (~25.000000)
    INFO: [yuvscaler] input: interlace: none/progressive
    INFO: [yuvscaler] input: sample aspect ratio: 1:1
    INFO: [yuvscaler] from 720x576, take 720x576+0+0, NOT_INTERLACED/PROGRESSIVE
    INFO: [yuvscaler] scale to 720x576, 720x576 being displayed
    INFO: [yuvscaler] Scaling uses the RESAMPLE algorithm,
    INFO: [yuvscaler] frame rate: 25.000 fps
    INFO: [yuvscaler] Scaling ratio for width is 1 to 1
    INFO: [yuvscaler] and is 1 to 1 for height
    INFO: [yuvscaler] Specific downscaling routing number 4
    INFO: [yuvscaler] output: frame size: 720x576 pixels (622080 bytes)
    INFO: [yuvscaler] output: chroma: 4:2:0 JPEG/MPEG-1 (interstitial)
    INFO: [yuvscaler] output: frame rate: 25/1 fps (~25.000000)
    INFO: [yuvscaler] output: interlace: none/progressive
    INFO: [yuvscaler] output: sample aspect ratio: 1:1
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Selecting DVD with dummy navigation packets output profile
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Assuming norm PAL
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Encoding MPEG-2 video to /<censored> m2v.ff.m2v
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Horizontal size: 720 pel
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Vertical size: 576 pel
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Aspect ratio code: 3 = 16:9 display
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Frame rate code: 3 = 25.0 (PAL/SECAM VIDEO / converted FILM)
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Bitrate: 3600 KBit/s
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Quality factor: 3 (Quantisation = 3) (1=best, 31=worst)
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Field order for input: none/progressive
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] New Sequence every 9999 Mbytes
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Assuming non-video stream of 0 Kbps
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Search radius: 16
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] DualPrime: no
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Using one-pass rate control
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] GOP SIZE RANGE 7 TO 15
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Setting colour/gamma parameters to "PAL B/G"
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Progressive format frames = 1
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Using default unmodified quantization matrices
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING MMX and MMX for QUANTIZER!
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] PAR = 1
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Creating worker thread 0
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] NEW GOP INIT length 15
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Worker: getting
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Working: stripe 0/1 1
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Worker: stripe 0 done
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Enc1 0 0( 0) I q=9.06 [100% Intra]
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Enc1 1 1( 1) P q=7.48 [0% Intra]

many ofg lines are very similar what are last four lines. and there is end of log
    INFO: [yuvscaler] End of stream!
    INFO: [yuvscaler] Normal exit: end of stream with frame number 143523!
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Enc1 143521 143521(13) P q=3.00 [0% Intra]
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Signaling last frame = 143522
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Enc1 143522 143522(14) P q=3.00 [0% Intra]
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Sequence end inserted
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] NEW GOP INIT length 15
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Guesstimated final muxed size = 2546275721
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] SHUTDOWN worker
    error: movie contains no audio tracks!

and i changed my file name with text <censored> and i very sure my test file is tired with mplayer setting not quicktime. and i think i tested very similar settings even itself. actually i tired almost all setting combinatons i think...
    Last edited by JPQ; 16th Aug 2012 at 21:37.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Some times when i close preview window i get this error: (comes also few other fonts like Arial,and Geneva last looks best when i checked them)

FIXME:Hardenabling SSE and SSE2 without detection
    Syntax error in font desc: trueCannot load font: /Users/Vanhapolle/.spumux/Times.ttf
    The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
    Try adding the scale filter, e.g. -vf spp,scale instead of -vf spp.

MPlayer interrupted by signal 10 in module: uninit_vo
    - MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
    It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
    gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
    DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
    won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.

i want test: i tired form tools author with srt and sup subtitles and m2v video says file is unknown format. i removed srt file form its own "field" but same result.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try copying the log to TextEdit. Before pasting, set TextEdit to Plain text mode (menu Format>Make Plain Text (⇧⌘T)). That should make a small file. You could even ‘archive’ (compress) that to .zip.
    Last edited by Case; 16th Aug 2012 at 21:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This could appear when you close mplayer with the red button in the upper left corner of the window. Try closing the player window using the 'q' or 'esc' key.

Originally Posted by JPQ
    i want test: i tired form tools author with srt and sup subtitles and m2v video says file is unknown format. i removed srt file form its own "field" but same result.
    The Tools>Author tab wants an .mpg file as input, with video and audio. An M2V file will not work in this tab.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I try these soon. but i think even these snippes say something what tool "makes".use " charcers indicate maybe little wrong word. my native language is not english.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I changed subtitle selector to .srt looks like now i get movie with burned text only problems are now text is smallest possible allways,and bottom movie (good place but i want little higher it like value 90) and ä,ö shows wrong. program what makes srt files are are configured make utf-8 text (i use project x),and i selected utf-8 form ffmpegx but i now test texts what are converted utf-8 using jubler which shows ä,ö charters correctly directly. i compared resulted file to original srt resulted file have different charters places where there is ä,ö. for example ä is √§ and ö is √∂. ps. preview still showed big texts correct way.
    Last edited by JPQ; 17th Aug 2012 at 00:12.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I maybe found solution but i cannot yet tell what i do archive this. I hope get fine results later form also form other sources. I dont yet know what is "key" to get this result. but i try save all possible things whar are related this...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Case View Post
    This could appear when you close mplayer with the red button in the upper left corner of the window. Try closing the player window using the 'q' or 'esc' key.
    Good know this closing thing. But i say again (i know it so silly) i hope i never get again this subtitle (i used hours get result i tested all possible things) problem and i dont know what i changed to get this work i think text becouse first result (what i getted after no texts to picture thing) is burned subtitle with wrong "codepage" (i mean utf-8 type things here) and small text in bottom of page. but i changed few things and now looks text is size what i want and place what i want and coding what i want. but adding text seems change picture quality. but this still i think suitable for my uses.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    but adding text seems change picture quality. but this still i think suitable for my uses.
    Adding text makes the scenes more complex, thus quality may change more than it would without the text.
    You can use two settings (either one or both) for extra quality:
    • In the Video tab, set a higher bitrate. "4000" is default, try "6000" or "7000".
    • In the Options tab, change Qmin from "3" to "2".

This will result in bigger files.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Case View Post
    but adding text seems change picture quality. but this still i think suitable for my uses.
    Adding text makes the scenes more complex, thus quality may change more than it would without the text.
    You can use two settings (either one or both) for extra quality:
    • In the Video tab, set a higher bitrate. "4000" is default, try "6000" or "7000".
    • In the Options tab, change Qmin from "3" to "2".

This will result in bigger files.
    True i dont understand why now it works (i dont changed anything real) expect one thinh which i dont like much texts are middle to left side. i mean i get both text lines centered which makes them little harder read.
    Last edited by JPQ; 17th Aug 2012 at 07:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    one thinh which i dont like much texts are middle to left side. i mean i get both text lines centered which makes them little harder read.
    ffmpegX can not set styling features like text alignment (left/center/right). Centered is default and I don't think there is a way to change that (for .srt).

.srt files do not have styling defined inside the file. You may try working with a different subtitle format: one that does support styling. If you set text alignment in Jubler and save in a format that supports styling, then maybe ffmpegX can work with that. Not tested by me; I don't know if that will work.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Now it seems again non working state preview still shows texts. I checked settings at least five times. I dont understand this.
    Results is again mpg without text.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Now looks working fine maybe something to do thing filter page i changed burn place where is also option for .srt and .idx.
    or maybe this is releated i removed checkmark form No SVCD scan form Options page.
    ps. this tool or programs what this use have some very weird things.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by JPQ View Post
    Now looks working fine maybe something to do thing filter page i changed burn place where is also option for .srt and .idx.
    or maybe this is releated i removed checkmark form No SVCD scan form Options page.
    ps. this tool or programs what this use have some very weird things.
    Is totally rendom thing or looks this is solution .idx/.srt/burn selector changes thing at least. I dont yet know make more tests. looks weird becouse i bet i used earlier exact same settings even this selector in burn position. but is understandable somelevel if this selector does the job but weird is nothing do with it. becouse i almost sure is earlier in same position but i dont have good result.
    Last edited by JPQ; 16th Sep 2012 at 21:35.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Text Position is %? and 100 is allaws maxium bottom which is possible such number of text lines. this is important thing (i dont want cutted subtitltes) but at least now adding subtitles works fine again.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I made biggest possible text and checked result with Mac works fine but now i looked
    with Samsung Full tv with old thompson dvd player text cuts form bottom. I test
    soon with other setup.
    ps. remake project again two different settings text with size 1,and pos 80 and text
    size 3 and post 90. size 1 is very small here. i think 3 is most close what we have in finland
    in normal programs.
    Quote Quote  
  30. New version of program dont seems support all subtitle options like pos,.srt/burn/.idx button etc. Why? looks i can use commandline tools of new version (what are for Intel) with this oldversion. to get these options what i need but i dont understand why them seem be removed.
    Quote Quote