VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. A few years ago I saw this process detailed on a website, but now I cannot find it anymore. It was applied officially by the BBC to get color back onto their b/w Doctor Who copies with the help of off-air video tapes.

I have a similar thing with a 4 minute fragment that I have in two versions:
    1. color, but "old 2nd gen vhs" quality
    2. nice and crisp, but b/w.
    (Both are PAL mpg2.)

I want to put the colors of 1 on 2.

Does anyone have experience with this, or know where it's documented?
    This is nøt å signåture.™
    Quote Quote  
  2. PS And I'm not talking about the so-called "chroma dot" recovery; that exists too and that's all I can google, but that's a different thing.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You can transplant the color from one to the black and white of the other, if that's what you're asking. MergeChroma is the filter for that. Of course, both versions will have to contain exactly the same amount of active video, or one will have to be cropped and maybe resized to match the other. The frame count will have to be identical as well. That's one way, anyway.

GamMatch might be able to do it as well:

Useful to correct bad color clip where there is a better color source of perhaps lower rez available.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    You can transplant the color from one to the black and white of the other, if that's what you're asking. MergeChroma is the filter for that. Of course, both versions will have to contain exactly the same amount of active video, or one will have to be cropped and maybe resized to match the other. The frame count will have to be identical as well. That's one way, anyway.

Useful to correct bad color clip where there is a better color source of perhaps lower rez available.
    Yes, that is exactly what I want, so it looks like I'll be giving those two a try.
    Thanks. I'm optimistic because it's PAL to PAL, so that shouldn't be too mismatched...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    You can transplant the color from one to the black and white of the other, if that's what you're asking. MergeChroma is the filter for that. Of course, both versions will have to contain exactly the same amount of active video, or one will have to be cropped and maybe resized to match the other. The frame count will have to be identical as well. That's one way, anyway.

The grayscale dynamic range should be nearly identical between the 2 also, otherwise you'd get false colors.

Scott
    Quote Quote