VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone

I Have AMD Radeon HD 7800 series installed on my PC. The Catalyst Control Center is also installed.
    Due to some reasons I need to block the HDMI output of this graphic card. Is it possible ? if yes how?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You had better explain why and then explain how you connect this video card to your monitor.

Edit:

Just seen your other topic.

The answer is no.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    You had better explain why and then explain how you connect this video card to your monitor.

Edit:

Just seen your other topic.

The answer is no.
    i need to block hdmi output as i dont want videos to be captured via this port. it is connected to monitor through DVi .

I replied that post as well
    Quote Quote  
  4. You can capture DVI as easily as HDMI. All you need is a DVI to HDMI cable. So you'd have to block all digital output. But then you can still easily capture VGA with an inexpensive VGA to DVI/HDMI adapter. So you might as well give up.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could always use a hot glue gun and squirt connector full of hard-set glue. That would stop anything being connected to the HDMI port ever again.

But I'm wondering what sort of video is playing on your computer and what sort of environment it is located in that you are so worried about someone surreptitiously connecting fairly obvious hardware (a capture device and/or an whole other computer, presumably without you noticing) to your PC and grabbing what is being played. If you are working for the NSA you should have a technical team who can help you with this and, if you aren't, I'm puzzled why you have such a need?

Especially since whatever super-sensitive information is being displayed on the screen can still be captured by pointing a camera at the screen or, as jagabo correctly states, by splitting and capturing the DVI signal.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Chopmeister View Post
    But I'm wondering what sort of video is playing on your computer and what sort of environment it is located in that you are so worried about someone surreptitiously connecting fairly obvious hardware (a capture device and/or an whole other computer, presumably without you noticing) to your PC and grabbing what is being played. If you are working for the NSA you should have a technical team who can help you with this and, if you aren't, I'm puzzled why you have such a need?

Especially since whatever super-sensitive information is being displayed on the screen can still be captured by pointing a camera at the screen or, as jagabo correctly states, by splitting and capturing the DVI signal.
    There are always exceptions, but every time I see someone who is over the top paranoid about their precious videos being recorded by another, I figure it's something no rational person would ever want to copy, like a video of some stranger's child playing sports.
    Quote Quote  
  7. thanks for your hilarious guesses, well i didnt want to make confusion with an usefulness explanation about the reason i need to block the HDMI output. and also in this case i just asked for what i need to do and i dont think other stuff would be relevant to this problem. so if you only think there is a solution then reply this post , thx
    Quote Quote  
  8. It is not clear to me what are you trying to achieve, HDMI is backward compatible with DVI and any HDMI source need to work with DVI sink (receiver) - HDMI source take decision about mode (DVI or HDMI) based on information provided by sink (trough EDID interface and data) - so to force HDMI source in DVI mode all you need to do is - tell your source that you are a DVI receiver - this can be done by EDID emulator or modifier or by modifying EDID in your receiver.

Of course DVI have some limitations - RGB color space only, no audio (but HDCP can be still active as it is DVI/HDMI independent).

If you really want to turn off DVI/HDMI interface then idea with physical disconnecting digital video output seem to be not so hilarious as it looks - anyway hint for you is EDID - preventing EDID to work should prevent any reasonable device to work with such source.
    But once again - all this what you trying is not clear to me - or you trying to have DVI working but HDMI not or both .e. DVI and HDMI non working.

After some time - you can try to search some switch - perhaps ask AMD support, perhaps HDMI support can be turned off in software layer (should be most usable solution for you).
    Last edited by pandy; 23rd Feb 2014 at 08:33.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    It is not clear to me what are you trying to achieve, HDMI is backward compatible with DVI and any HDMI source need to work with DVI sink (receiver) - HDMI source take decision about mode (DVI or HDMI) based on information provided by sink (trough EDID interface and data) - so to force HDMI source in DVI mode all you need to do is - tell your source that you are a DVI receiver - this can be done by EDID emulator or modifier or by modifying EDID in your receiver.

Of course DVI have some limitations - RGB color space only, no audio (but HDCP can be still active as it is DVI/HDMI independent).
    i think that we are getting off the track. the only thing i want is to stop my graphic card from displaying via HDMI (to disable it through any software) thats it
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You've already had reasonable answers from knowledgeable people, and, as pointed out, it's a stupid idea. It's no more difficult to capture through DVI than HDMI. What part of that is so hard to understand?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure what you are trying to do. If you need to turn off the HDMI port WHILE it's connected to a device simply go into display properties and choose which monitor you want to display to at that time. OR you could simply unplug the HDMI cable from the video card while watching video on the monitor. If the HDMI port is not connected to anything there's no need to disable it while watching video on the monitor via DVI.

If you could explain what is connected to the HDMI port at the same time you are watching video on the monitor maybe someone can give you a better solution. We don't need to know what you are watching, just what's connected to the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by snoledan View Post
    the only thing i want is to stop my graphic card from displaying via HDMI (to disable it through any software) thats it
    Then you need search for such functionality in driver to your graphic cards - probably such functionality can be forced in software but probably this will be hidden and perhaps not available for you - anyway contact with graphic card vendor (or directly with AMD) and try to request such info - however don't be surprised if you receive feedback that this is not possible (even if this is possible from hardware perspective).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Easy method. Just uncheck HDMI drivers in driver installer. Only this.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Unchecking hdmi drivers doesn't work,windows will install drivers anyways,just unsolder your hdmi connector from your video card.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by snoledan View Post
    thanks for your hilarious guesses, well i didnt want to make confusion with an usefulness explanation about the reason i need to block the HDMI output. and also in this case i just asked for what i need to do and i dont think other stuff would be relevant to this problem. so if you only think there is a solution then reply this post , thx
    the reason people ask questions which you clearly think they shouldn't be asking is because of the nature of what you are asking to do. i know that whenever someone comes here and asks how to do something out of the norm, i always ask why they want to do it to see if i can suggest another method that will accomplish what they want without going through the hoops they are attempting.

your question falls into this category.

and for the record, and this goes for anyone and everyone that comes here asking a question and demands an answer in a form they approve of: no one here works for you, we don't get paid to help you, we don't work for you and quite frankly we're not the ones having an issue, it's the person asking the question and hoping for an answer that needs help, not the people trying to answer.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 24th Feb 2014 at 04:02. Reason: Please skip the bad language. / Admin Baldrick
    Quote Quote  
  16. to the ppl who are getting out of control here, please calm the f* down ,yes no one will get paid here for the help ( and i appreciate it ) but answering here is not a must for anyone and also there are many forums like this that ppl help each other for free .

thx pandy

arnold and hoser rob

imagine DVI is attached to the port by hot glue , i dont care about capturing from DVI. i have displays out of mini displays and DVi port.
    i know my question might be weird but what i need is so clear "to stop my graphic card from displaying via HDMI (to disable it through any software)"

BTW Thanks everyone for your answers here
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you are asking a troll question,doesn't make any sense.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, if it was a legit question, you would fully explain yourself.

As was already mentioned: often when fully explaining themselves, others can give bypassing-type suggestions that the OP is assuming is not even possible or a viable candidate, thus removing the need for the original brute-force tactic.

We'll never know unless you come clean. And I doubt I would add any more until then. Besides, you've already been given a few good answers and don't seem to be biting...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Yeah, if it was a legit question, you would fully explain yourself.

As was already mentioned: often when fully explaining themselves, others can give bypassing-type suggestions that the OP is assuming is not even possible or a viable candidate, thus removing the need for the original brute-force tactic.

We'll never know unless you come clean. And I doubt I would add any more until then. Besides, you've already been given a few good answers and don't seem to be biting...

Scott
    i explained as much as i could , there is no need to explain why i am doing this and what is being displayed. anyways, i dont think i would find out anything here so please delete this thread and posts . i dont know how to do it
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And...scene!

I knew it.

Scott
    Quote Quote