VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have srt's and avi's but when I combine to make a new avi with hard burned subtitles, the subtitles are lower than i want them. How can I raise them up?

I hard burn with either PocketDivx Encoder or FreeMake Video Converter. Then I send it to my tivo so I can watch on TV.
    There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You must change the subtitle location in the converter. But I don't think freemake or pocketdivx encoder lets you do that.

I guess you have to use virtualdub with a subtitle filter or with avisynth to be able to adjust the location.

Or maybe try some new converter like tencoder. I think you can load subs and adjust the subtitle in it...but I have never tried it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Baldrick.

Tencoder does let me reposition the subtitles, but i lose the audio!

I will continue to fool around with it, but having a hard time so far..........any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.softpedia.com/progScreenshots/TEncoder-Portable-Screenshot-191331.html

This is where i got more info on repositioning the subtitles....in the 2nd screenshot, slide the bar to 90 from 100
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is the audio track empty?
    What do you select under the audio codec?

For avi would I use xvid codec and mp3 audio codec.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The original avi has sound. I didnt touch the stock settings on Tencoder. It says mp3 in the dropdown menu next to "audio codec" but there are a handful or two to pick from.

When I play the new avi on VLC, nothing is bolded when I tab on "audio" in the top toolbar.

Edit - Standby, trying AC3 setting now as i think Tencoder is telling me the orig avi has AC3 for sound.......

Edit 2 - arg. Not working. Gotta run for now.

Ideas? Thanks!
    Last edited by rambler; 22nd Nov 2012 at 08:25.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You can continue to use Freemake Video Converter if you prefer as it accepts SSA subs as input. Convert the SRT to SSA (SubResynch included in the VobSub package, among other ways) and use them. SSA subs have the ability to set the position on the screen.

Open the SSA in Notepad and change the vertical position:

[V4 Styles]
    Format: Name, Fontname, Fontsize, PrimaryColour, SecondaryColour, TertiaryColour, BackColour, Bold, Italic, BorderStyle, Outline, Shadow, Alignment, MarginL, MarginR, MarginV, AlphaLevel, Encoding
    Style: Default,Tahoma,60,12632256,8026746,12632256,-2147483640,0,0,1,2,0,2,20,20,60,0,0

The boldfaced third-from-last number controls the height on the screen. Increase it to raise the subs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Manono - with a modified SSA the subs are repositioned if i watch on the PC, but when i try to hardburn using FreeMake it still keeps the subtitles at the bottom. Any ideas on this issue? It sounds the most promising to solve my problem.

Otherwise I am taking the tencoder problem to the tencoder thread. The lack of audio continues no matter what I try.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Oh darn! Every program I've seen that accepts SSA subs as input honors the styles in the file (including the height). If Freemake ignores it and has no way to set the styles elsewhere within the program (I've never used it myself, although it has a very good reputation here), then I don't know. I apologize for wasting your time. If you're on Facebook, you can contact the developer(s) directly about the problem:

http://www.facebook.com/Freemake
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No worries Manono! Using Tencoder my problem was eventually solved (see other thread).
    Quote Quote