VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi guys,

I need to make a subtitle translation for a video. I have had all the lines, timing in an .xls file in the format:
    - column A: number from 1 to n, n is the number of subtitle lines
    - column B: start time
    - column C: end time
    - column D: the actual line
    I am trying to convert this file into .srt format. My plan is to simply save the .xls file as a .txt file
    which would give me the following format in one line
    "number start time end time actual line"
    so then in the .txt file I would manually insert line break, insert --> between start time and end time
    Also the guy who created the .xls file used this format 00:10:38.729 instead of the regular 00:10:38,729 for time so I also need to manually change all the . to ,
    Then I would save this txt file as an srt file.
    Would appreciate if anyone has an idea to make this process less time consuming, because I have about 300 lines to edit.
    I'm new here so please forgive me if my post did not follow certain rules.
    Thank you all!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you, I have read that post as well, and it's basically what I described in my post I was looking for a way to not have to do everything by hands
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Your plan is flawed.

If you have the source as an .xls file then you 'edit' that. I.e. use a program that reads/edits the .xls (not confined to Excel) which can find/replace text or copy a single row over a series of rows as in the '-->'

From there you can create a text file and add the required line breaks since that is not so easy imo to do in a Excel etc.

But 300 lines !!. From what you propose that still would not take longer in a text editor. It could take longer to set the text up.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you! I would go ahead with your suggestion adding the --> in excel then convert it to .txt file and .srt file
    Quote Quote