VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ....

Hope everyone is safe and well wherever they may be.

Recently I have closed down a personal web-site because of issues (excessive monthly charges, questionable service, other factors) on the part of the provider, who shall remain nameless. At present, I am considering a new web host provider, one who is proven to be both easy-to-afford as well as highly reliable.

From any of you who respond, please note that I do not seek anything fancy, as I am limited expertise-wise to composing with just HTML, CSS and Javascript. The site non-text content would largely consist of JPG and GIF image files, not many of great size, and perhaps a few zips and PDFs. No super-heavy demands of the host are required save for being able to handle total content of at least 500 mb and perhaps up to 1.00 GB.

I am able to preview my work with a localhost server app (Laragon).

Thanx-A-Lot, Take Care, Stay Safe and Well
    Last edited by Frank-0-Video; 30th May 2020 at 20:50. Reason: Correction of text tag. Explaining requirement needs. Simplied overall explanation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PCMag only lists companies that paid to be listed. And most of those are not the best web hosts.
    Several of those are literally some of the worst hosts that exist (Hostgator, for example)

This is extreme off topic for a video site.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But anyone, even a respected contributor here, should always qualify a remark when one states 'some of the worse'

And the OP did ask for a recc rather than an opinion.

So, like my use of an ADVC , I will state my own experience. I set up a website over 10 years ago and went with a recc from a friend who was hosting a forum with the same provider. The original site is hosted on a 'shared server' and features HMTL, php, a MySQL database and email. Even tho the server is shared (my friend later upgraded to a dedicated server but with the same provider) access to the content is certainly fast enough for me and there are plenty of provided ancillary software to maintain the site although I do use Heidi for off-line database maintenance.

A few months ago, after many years of development I expanded the website with another, significantly larger MySQL database on a sub-domain. Small by many standards but still much larger than the original. Again, access is quick enough even tho searches are now more complex.

I forget how much the monthly hosting is right now but it is certainly more than $6.95

And the name of the hoster which I am perfectly happy with ?

Hostgator
    Quote Quote  
  4. Does Hostgator respond when you have a problem? That was an issue with them many years ago when I was researching webhosts. GoDaddy had that problem also in the past. Don't know how they behave now.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only time I have had an issue was when there was a change in my payment method.

Naturally, they took my site off line but I was able to contact them through their web-chat, updated the payment info and the site was restored.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    And the name of the hoster which I am perfectly happy with ?

Hostgator

Thanx-A-Lot Still Considering different options. Stay Safe and Well.
    Last edited by Frank-0-Video; 23rd May 2020 at 00:39.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Does Hostgator respond when you have a problem? That was an issue with them many years ago when I was researching webhosts. GoDaddy had that problem also in the past. Don't know how they behave now.
    No change. Terrible companies.
    Hostgator was bought by EIG years ago, and service got worse. They're infamous.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Hostgator was bought by EIG years ago, and service got worse. They're infamous.
    Just came across an article detailing EIG's "stranglehold" over several hosting services. Not only does the article list EIG-held services, but also some non-EIG hosting services one can consider.

Here's the URL of the article -- https://www.onlinetoolsexpert.com/full-list-of-eig-web-hosting-companies/

Stay Safe and Well, Every One!
    Last edited by Frank-0-Video; 30th May 2020 at 17:26. Reason: New Information
    THE Ultimate TV Tuner Device - Picks up every broadcast-cable-satellite transmission since 1928!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That site you linked lists Dreamhost, which is just as bad, maybe worse. That blog appears to be an affiliate-driven site (only recommends hosts that pay them money), not much different that fake "top 10" sites.

A similar article is on our site: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/editorials/websites-blogs/hostgator-alternatives-eig-pt1.htm
    But with more/better recommendations.
    You'll notice Dreamhost is specifically mentioned as NOT a good host to use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    That site you linked lists Dreamhost, which is just as bad, maybe worse. That blog appears to be an affiliate-driven site (only recommends hosts that pay them money), not much different that fake "top 10" sites.

A similar article is on our site: http://www.digitalFAQ.com/editorials/websites-blogs/hostgator-alternatives-eig-pt1.htm
    But with more/better recommendations.
    You'll notice Dreamhost is specifically mentioned as NOT a good host to use.
    Humbly and Respectfully, I have to say this -- It has been * 10 days * since I first posted this thread, and it is * only now* that you supply that link, where I find that it lists only three alternative non-E.I.G. choices.

Two of your link's recommended alternatives (Siteground, InMotion) appear to * ask for -MORE- money *, both per month and per year, on the most basic non-Wordpress plans than does DreamHost or some of the EIG sites! It is * only * your link's third recommended alternative, * Name Cheap *, that appears quite promising, pricewise and other ways.

So, with all that in mind, I'll now do my own research on all three, as well as other known non-EIG services,, and then decide on what I want.

Thanx-A-Lot || Stay Safe and Well.
    Last edited by Frank-0-Video; 2nd Jun 2020 at 10:29. Reason: minor wording adjustments
    THE Ultimate TV Tuner Device - Picks up every broadcast-cable-satellite transmission since 1928!
    Quote Quote