VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am floating in abundant free time right now, so I decided to *attempt* to make DVDs of all the videos I have cluttering up my computer. I have, in the past, made DVDs with NeroVision, but I don't want to do that anymore. Mostly because all of the videos I want to burn are subtitled MKV files (some soft-subbed, some hard-subbed).

But after reading a ton of different tutorials, I am completely overwhelmed. I've downloaded at least 10 different programs to convert video, none of which seem to do what I am hoping for, and all of them confusing me entirely.

As I said, the videos are MKV. Most of them are soft-subbed.

What I am hoping to accomplish: Creating DVDs viewable on most DVD players (mine is kind of old, but I know it plays DVD-Rs), with nice menus (which I am working on), chapter selections where I want them, not just every x minutes, and to not have to worry about the subtitles being cut off the screen.

Most of the programs I have tried won't just convert the videos. They'll usually try to convert and then immediately burn one single video. I want to be able to get like 6 or so individual videos onto one disc, with menus and chapter selections.

So, can someone point me in the direction of some newb friendly MKV to whatever converter programs, something that will make the subtitles still work (I'd totally be okay if I had to hardsub them to the video), and a program that lets you design interesting, useful menus and add chapter selections where I want rather than where it wants.

Or, barring that, anyone want to take on the process of mentoring someone who knows little about these things?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Convert to DVD mpeg2 using FAVC or AVS2DVD and then use a good authoring application like dvd lab or tmpgenc authoring works.

Or the easiest way, use convertxtodvd or dvd flick(free). But they have limited menu support.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To the original poster: the person who makes dvd authoring both easy and complete, will be a billionaire. Im amazed that nearly 10 years ago it was just about as hard as it is today to do this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD Authoring is not a complex process, and there are several tools that make life simple most of the time. if you are working with reliable source, the process is well catered for at all levels, from consumer through to pro.

Where the process usually has issues is when the source is unreliable. This includes any source you download from P2P/sharing sources. You have no control over the quality of the encoding, the way it has been muxed, and the way it has been treated before it got to your HDD. Also, if you download a wide range of sources you have to be sure your PC supports these by having the correct codecs (and types of codecs) installed. This does not mean installing a codec pack, which is a pretty sure fire method of making sure nothing works the way it should.

If you want simple and mostly reliable, ConvertXtoDVd would be top of the list. It will handle most formats most of the time. if you have some idea of what you are doing, AVStoDVD or DVD Flick are good free options.

For people working with quality source (DV, HDV, AVCHD etc) then there are many other options that provide much greater levels of freedom.

No simple solution will ever give you anything but a simple output. Don't expect something simple to give you professional quality menu designs and functionality.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    DVD Authoring is not a complex process
    I am going to respectfully, and emphatically disagree.

Yes, there are wizards that do things half-assed and poorly, but very easily.

But like I was careful to say: When the process gets automated and in a *complete* fashion (meaning high quality video authoring is as easy as pie) then that person will make a billion.

I do believe this is possible. For example, 10 years ago when I first delved into this, I saw that Premiere could only edit movies. I had to download a completely separate program which did the encoding, and yet another one which did DVD authoring. First thought? Someone could simplify this. Consolidate it.

Some of us are fairly intelligent and good with software and computing, yet are still utterly blown away by the complexity of Premiere. Whereas I can teach myself Photoshop and numerous other applications, Premiere is such a behemoth that its impossible. The first screen alone has 15 options with zero explanation as to what they mean, or do. The second screen (still before you even open the project!) has over 40 options with ZERO explanation on the differences between the various KHz, etc. Software like this is useless to anyone but experts, and that's what I mean.

If I can go online and ask people what this screen means, and what option does, then the software creator can simplify and make the screen more user friendly. Ive seen it done with tons of programs as they improved over the years. There seems to be little interest in making things more user friendly however, as Premiere hasn't simplified their interface even one bit in the last 10 years. And yes, I do believe its possible to retain functionality and expand your userbase by makin the interface a little less GEEK-centric

It has taken me over a week and half to even begin to touch on the tip of the iceberg of whats involved in this process, so I am going to stand by my assessment that the current tools are still far too complex for the average user. And the ones that aren't, spit out an inferior quality product that the average user wouldn't like.

-P-
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So you are basing your appraisal of the current state of DVD authoring entirely on the fact you find premiere intimidating ?

It may have passed you by, but there are a lot of other options out there, most of which are far simpler than Premiere, while still retaining (or exceeding) Premiere's capabilities.

The industry has simplified the process substantially. There are multiple levels of programs to suit the different levels and needs of the consumer. Even Adobe has played ball, with Premiere Elements. In fact, pretty much every player with a high-end tool offers a consumer level version as a starting point. If that is all you need, you stay there. if you grow beyond it, you can upgrade to the Pro-level version knowing that you will already be familiar with the interface and basic functions.

Tmpgenc DVD Author is a good example of an authoring tool that is designed for those who want more control than something like ConvertxtoDVD will give them, but don't need the complexity of the high end tools.

Complex tasks require complex tools. If you want to create a DVD interface to match what Lucas turns, you will have to use complex, high-end tools, and take the time to learn them. But if you just want to knock out a competent looking DVD with motion menus and audio, it can be done without getting overwhelmed.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Priapism
    DVD Authoring is not a complex process
    I am going to respectfully, and emphatically disagree.
    Disagree all you want but that doesn't make you right. Authoring is the process of combining the already DVD-compliant assets (video, audio, subs, chapters) into a DVD with IFOs, BUPs, and VOBs. It has nothing to do with creating menus. Muxman is a very easy-to-use, free, and very good authoring program.

Encoding and menu creation are separate procedures. I take it your problem is wanting to easily create menus while also authoring. If so, then guns1inger has already set you straight. There are much easier ways (easier, if not actually easy) to create menus than the way you're doing it. He (and Baldrick) already mentioned other programs that automatically create rudimentary menus. Me, when I need menus I'll use the free DVDAuthorGUI. after having already created the assets. I can make motion menus as complex as my encoding skills allow. I spit on templates and wizards for this sort of thing.

As for SixOclock's requirement:
    Creating DVDs viewable on most DVD players (mine is kind of old, but I know it plays DVD-Rs), with nice menus (which I am working on), chapter selections where I want them, not just every x minutes, and to not have to worry about the subtitles being cut off the screen.
    The free and pretty good DVDAuthorGUI and GUI4DVDAuthor allow chapters to be set whereever you like and will accept subs in a variety of formats and allow you to position them whereever you like (likely you have overscan problems if they're being cut off). However, for nice looking menus, you'll be on your own for creating the video portion of them. They can be simple, though, such as pics from the movie, the DVD case cover, or posters.

And AvsToDVD is a free and easy to use all-in-one program that integrates the encoding, menu creation, and authoring functions into one program, and allows for the creation of much more elaborate menus than do DVD Flick or ConvertXToDVD.

http://avstodvd.googlepages.com/home
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVStoDVD is also handy to use simply as a conversion front-end. Select Elementary Streams for your output and you get encoded, DVD compliant video and audio streams ready for authoring in your favourite authoring tool.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVStoDVD is also handy to use simply as a conversion front-end. Select Elementary Streams for your output and you get encoded, DVD compliant video and audio streams ready for authoring in your favourite authoring tool.
    I have also found it's optional burned in subs (left at default) look great, nice placement, font and other attributes.
    Quote Quote