VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, I'm currently trying to find a frame perfect timecode syncing lineage. Although I'm confused on how to do it as I think I'm doing it the wrong way.

Currently I open the first video in Avidemux and find a camera change and note the timecode. For this example let's do it with this timecode

00:02:03.665

And then I open up the second video and find the exact same frame which in this case is

00:01:42.894

What I usually do for each number is to convert the minutes and seconds in milliseconds and sum them up to a final number with the ms. In this case it was

120 000 + 3000 + 665 = 123 665

Same for the second number

60 000 + 42 000 + 894 = 102 894

Then I subtract both numbers

123 665 - 102 894 = 20 771

Then in mkvtoolnix I add this number as a delay, either a negative or positive value depending on which video track I want to sync it.

It kind of work but since I just read about timecode and realised the number after the . isn't representing milliseconds but in fact a frame number.

I'm confused as to why it's working and now I would like to know how to properly calculate these timecodes to get the real difference in milliseconds.

Thanks for helping out!
    Quote Quote  
  2. The number after (.) are milliseconds, not frame numbers.
    So 02:10:45.891 means 2 hours, 10 minutes, 45 seconds and 891 milliseconds.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Any editor worthy of the name professional should have the option to show in multiple time scale options, and via frames would be the best way to calculate sync offsets, etc.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    The number after (.) are milliseconds, not frame numbers.
    So 02:10:45.891 means 2 hours, 10 minutes, 45 seconds and 891 milliseconds.
    So I was right

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Any editor worthy of the name professional should have the option to show in multiple time scale options, and via frames would be the best way to calculate sync offsets, etc.
    Any recommendation?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Premiere Pro can toggle display options

A free way is avisynth , using showtime(), or showsmpte()

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/ShowFrameNumber#ShowTime

By convention the last "." indicates ms , but the ":" colon would indicate frames
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Premiere Pro can toggle display options

A free way is avisynth , using showtime(), or showsmpte()

http://avisynth.nl/index.php/ShowFrameNumber#ShowTime

By convention the last "." indicates ms , but the ":" colon would indicate frames
    Thanks for the information about "." and ":", very appreciated!

I'm already using Premiere Pro and AviSynth but I prefer Avidemux so far and ms are working great as well for syncing.
    Quote Quote