VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I wasn't sure how I wanted to ask my question in the title. I have an HD file that I converted to SD using Tmpgenc. When I converted the file the picture and audio look and sound great, cross your fingers it stays like that. When I watch the .VOB file using Windows Media Player on the computer though the video has very thick large black edging around the video like a fat letter box. I am sure it is something in my settings of how I converted the file that has it so the video appears this way.

I just learned yesterday how to convert from HD to SD using this program so I am still learning.... What I do know is that my original file was 1440X1080 and I have the new settings to 720X480. I am wondering if when I burn this video to a disc and play in a DVD player how it will look?? My goal is to have the video take up the whole screen without a letter box.

There is an option under settings/ Video/ Wide Mode Settings. I currently have it set to Letter box, however that was the default setting. The other two options are Pan and Scan OR Letterbox/Pan and Scan.

Does anyone know if maybe this Wide Mode Settings has anything to do with the think letter box around my video? Will I be able to watch the video on Media Player without the letterbox around it or is it always like this, but won't be this same way on the TV?

THANK YOU!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The problem is more likely how tmpgenc is reading your source file's aspect ratio. You may have to tell tmpgenc that the source is 16:9, or find a better tool for working with these files.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. In TMPGEnc set the source aspect ratio to 16:9. Set the output aspect ratio to 16:9.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Jagabo,

Where do I go to set the source aspect ratio to 16:9? I went under Settings--> Video--> and the current Aspect Ratio is: 16:9. Not sure if the Settings-->Video is the source it appears to be as the menu at the very top has SOURCE highlighted, lol The Wide Mode Settings says Letterbox, could that have anything to do with it?

I have heard nothing but good things about Tmpgenc as an encoding and editing tool thus far.

Thank you!

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    In TMPGEnc set the source aspect ratio to 16:9. Set the output aspect ratio to 16:9.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I only have TMPGEnc Plus 2.5. In that version it's in Settings -> Advanced -> Video Source Settings...

Oh, also make sure the Video Arrange Method is set to Full Screen Keep Aspect Ratio.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks, sounds like that is where I was looking so I should be good there. Where is the Video Arrange Method in your Plus 2.5 software? That might be something I need to check. I have a Wide Mode Settings and there is Letter box, Pan and Scan, or Letterbox/Pan and Scan, but I don't see a Full Screen option. It must be in another location....

Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I only have TMPGEnc Plus 2.5. In that version it's in Settings -> Advanced -> Video Source Settings...

Oh, also make sure the Video Arrange Method is set to Full Screen Keep Aspect Ratio.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The first place to look is the manual. Start reading.

The second thing to consider is that some software - and tmpgenc is one of them - while adding lots of extra features, actually dumb themselves down a lot, and take away a lot of control form the user. You may find that these settings simply don't exist in your version anymore.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks. Yep, the manual is always a great place to go to when no one else knows the answer. I have saved a lot of time asking questions on these postings where people have learned from experience for sure!! If you don't ask you will never know.

When I asked what the best software to convert HD to SD was I heard multiple times tmpgenc so I have downloaded a free trial of that to see if it works best for me. I am a person that needs simplistic software as I do not understand code or tons of technical aspects of conversion, clearly LOL All I am trying to do is to take my HD video convert to SD. Once I have the process down of how it all works I will be good to go.

Thanks!!

Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    The first place to look is the manual. Start reading.

The second thing to consider is that some software - and tmpgenc is one of them - while adding lots of extra features, actually dumb themselves down a lot, and take away a lot of control form the user. You may find that these settings simply don't exist in your version anymore.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you don't need to edit, there are plenty of free options. I like AVStoDVD, others like DVD Flick. if you want better menu options, DVD Styler might be worth looking into.

If you have a PS3 or Bluray player capable of playing the AVCHD format, then MultiAVCHD can produce HD structures that can be burned to DVD for playback, and can also produce DVD structures for people with standard DVD players.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank you, I will check into the other software you listed. I do not need to edit the video footage, but I do want to have a menu on the DVD that I burn. I like to be able to choose and skip through chapters of the video I put on the DVD.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by guns1inger View Post
    If you don't need to edit, there are plenty of free options. I like AVStoDVD, others like DVD Flick. if you want better menu options, DVD Styler might be worth looking into.

If you have a PS3 or Bluray player capable of playing the AVCHD format, then MultiAVCHD can produce HD structures that can be burned to DVD for playback, and can also produce DVD structures for people with standard DVD players.
    Quote Quote