VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a DVDR3570H from Philips and have recorded numerous video files from my camcorder onto the internal HDD. An almost unbelievable flaw in the unit is that you cannot copy these video files onto a USB, only burn them on a DVD.

Has anyone attempted to open the Philips unit, extracted the HDD and connected it onto a computer? My hope is that the HDD will contain a bunch om .avi or .mpeg files that I can basically transer and start editing on the computer, but am not sure this is the case.

Anyone?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Assuming the file system is the same as the DVDR3455H...

Read post #6 & #9.

Still with the DVDR3455H, others have reported being unable to actually do anything with the copied files.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I feel for the op, he archived his videos to the wrong place

But I wonder is it just me
    It seems there has been a rash DVR questions lately
    About copying saving recorded files
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tribeca View Post
    I have a DVDR3570H from Philips and have recorded numerous video files from my camcorder onto the internal HDD. An almost unbelievable flaw in the unit is that you cannot copy these video files onto a USB, only burn them on a DVD.

Has anyone attempted to open the Philips unit, extracted the HDD and connected it onto a computer? My hope is that the HDD will contain a bunch om .avi or .mpeg files that I can basically transer and start editing on the computer, but am not sure this is the case.

Anyone?
    The files on the hard drive are encrypted, so they won't be of much use to you. Your recorder uses the hard drive to record copy-once protected content which requires encryption, as well as camcorder footage and unprotected content that shouldn't need encryption. Handling everything stored on the HDD the same way allows a machine with a very limited processor, little memory and simple OS to enforce DRM as it is required to do. Your DVD recorder was released about 8 years ago, but even 2015 model Magnavox DVD recorders with a hard drive (made by Funai just like your Philips) treat all recordings on the hard drive the same way.

... but it would certainly be convenient to have the ability to dub recordings from sources that are not copy-once protected to a USB stick as well as to a DVD.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Jan 2016 at 13:47.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The files on the hard drive are encrypted, so they won't be of much use to you. Your recorder uses the hard drive to record copy-once protected content which requires encryption
    It does? This model only has an analog PAL tuner according to the leaflet on their website.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    The files on the hard drive are encrypted, so they won't be of much use to you. Your recorder uses the hard drive to record copy-once protected content which requires encryption
    It does? This model only has an analog PAL tuner according to the leaflet on their website.
    Looking at one of the FAQs (How do I record from a digital box, satellite box or other device?) it appears to have line inputs (SCART) to record from cable boxes or satellite receivers. http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/cpindex.pl?ctn=DVDR3570H/05&dct=QAC&faqview=1&mid=L...w_partial.html
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Jan 2016 at 17:10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Right, but it doesn't allow recording of copy-protected content via those. By "only" I meant specifically in regards to its tuning capabilities.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right, but it doesn't allow recording of copy-protected content via those. By "only" I meant specifically in regards to its tuning capabilities.
    Yes it does.

The manual also says this:
    Some recordings listed on the HDD menu cannot be played or copied to disc.

Some TV broadcasts or videos from external device that are recorded to this recorder may contain copy protection signals. Such material cannot be played back from the HDD or copied to a recordable DVD.

The copy-protected recordings are marked with the icon C in the HDD menu. They are either fully protected (copy never) or partially protected (copy once). For copy once recording, playback is possible but once copied to a recordable DVD, the recording will be removed from the HDD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You win. I'd done CTRL+F for "protected" and didn't bother continuing after I got to page 42: "Copy-protected material cannot be recorded on this recorder." Liars.

For Copy Once content, your quoted section makes sense, but... They let you record Copy Never content to the HDD and then deny you the ability to play it back or copy it to DVD? What's the point of that?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You win. I'd done CTRL+F for "protected" and didn't bother continuing after I got to page 42: "Copy-protected material cannot be recorded on this recorder." Liars.

For Copy Once content, your quoted section makes sense, but... They let you record Copy Never content to the HDD and then deny you the ability to play it back or copy it to DVD? What's the point of that?
    Maybe when they wrote "Copy-protected material cannot be recorded on this recorder." they meant Macrovison protected.

You are right, recording "copy never" content at all doesn't make sense. I guess if the flag is detected in the middle of a recording, it could happen, but you'd think the DVD recorder would just stop recording at that point.
    Quote Quote