VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an .AVI and the subtitles are in a .SUB file. How do I burn the subtitles into the AVI, preferable as fixed (=witten into or just below the movie)?

Any help is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. By opening your file, loading the subtitles file in the Filters tab ("Load subs"), selecting DivX preset, and hitting "Encode".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by major
    By opening your file, loading the subtitles file in the Filters tab ("Load subs"), selecting DivX preset, and hitting "Encode".
    This works when I have subtitles that are in .SRT format. However the subtitle I have nog are .SUB (and also a file .IDX). And the preview does not show the subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  4. If it is .idx/.sub (VobSub format), try to load the .idx file.
    Quote Quote  
  5. major wrote:
    1. By opening your file, loading the subtitles file in the Filters tab ("Load subs"), selecting DivX preset, and hitting "Encode"
    2. If it is .idx/.sub (VobSub format), try to load the .idx file.

*sigh* I really thought point 2 was the key for me too. Sadly not. I've been tryng nonstop for two days now to burn subtitles into a .avi file, and obviously keep the sound. Try as I might, I can do one, but not the other.

What has broken my spirit on this is that using the Preview button in the Filters tab, both sound and subtitles are just fine. The subtitles don't show up using the main Preview button though, the one to the right of the Save As... filename at the top of the window. How can this be? Only major can save the day...

Here is the information at the top of the main window on the file:

mpeg4, 640x272, 23.98 fps. AUDIO: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5 channels, 384 kb/s

And here is the information from the Info box for the (partially) encoded file:

Encoding started on Sun Sep 12 22:56:03 BST 2004
    MEncoder dev-CVS-040904-19:44-3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
    AltiVec found
    CPU: PowerPC
    Reading /usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: Using built-in default codecs.conf.
    success: format: 0 data: 0x0 - 0x2bc35800
    Font /usr/local/share/mplayer/font/font.desc loaded successfully! (206 chars)
    AVI file format detected.
    VIDEO: [DIVX] 640x272 12bpp 23.976 fps 1709.8 kbps (208.7 kbyte/s)
    Using AltiVec optimized IMDCT transform
    [V] filefmt:3 fourcc:0x44495658 size:640x272 fps:23.98 ftime:=0.0417
    ================================================== ========================
    Opening audio decoder: [liba52] AC3 decoding with liba52
    AC3: 5.1 (3f+2r+lfe) 48000 Hz 384.0 kbit/s
    Checking for AltiVec resampler : 0x0000000a, 2
    AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x20), ratio: 48000->192000 (384.0 kbit)
    Selected audio codec: [a52] afm:liba52 (AC3-liba52)
    Opening video filter: [expand osd=1]
    Expand: -1 x -1, -1 ; -1 (-1=autodetect) osd: 1
    Opening video filter: [scale w=640 h=272]
    Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
    Using AltiVec optimized resampler
    SUB: Could not determine file format
    Cannot load subtitles: /Users/gavin/Movies/Title.1/DISC_1/Title.1.1.idx
    Selected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm:ffmpeg (FFmpeg MPEG-4)
    MP3 audio selected
    Building audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/16bit -> 48000Hz/2ch/16bit...
    Writing AVI header...
    ODML: Aspect information not (yet?) available or unspecified, not writing vprp header.
    VDec: vo config request - 640 x 272 (preferred csp: Planar YV12)
    VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
    Movie-Aspect is 2.35:1 - prescaling to correct movie aspect.
    SwScaler: using unscaled Planar YV12 -> Planar YV12 special converter
    videocodec: libavcodec (640x272 fourcc=58564944 [XVID])

To sum up: Help!

PS I get the same "Could not determine file format Cannot load subtitles: " message in the Info whether I try to load the .sub file or the .idx file. They are definitely readable using the Filters Preview button though, so they aren't dodgy files as such.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Why not just load the video into Virtual Dub, add the TextSub filter, load the .sub file into the TextSub filter, and save under a new file name?
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Tommyknocker
    Why not just load the video into Virtual Dub, add the TextSub filter, load the .sub file into the TextSub filter, and save under a new file name?
    Thanks for the suggestion - looks a great app - but I'm on Mac OS X, and sadly Virtual Dub seems to be Windows only If major says there's a problem here, then I might try cranking up Virtual Dub in Virtual PC on the Mac, but the chances are such an intensive application would grind to a halt (
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by midwich
    Originally Posted by Tommyknocker
    Thanks for the suggestion - looks a great app - but I'm on Mac OS X, and sadly Virtual Dub seems to be Windows only If major says there's a problem here, then I might try cranking up Virtual Dub in Virtual PC on the Mac, but the chances are such an intensive application would grind to a halt (
    Sorry, when I saw the VobSub references, I put two and two together and came up with five.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I tried going down the virtualPC route, but have been driven mad by VobSub's whining about AviSynth not in the right place or something. It's in C:WINDOWS\SYSTEM where its installer put it, but VobSub doesn't like it. Typical

Does anyone know the solution to my problem with ffmpeg - should I start a fresh thread the better to attract major's attention?
    Quote Quote  
  10. A solution of sorts: Plan C was to download MPlayer for Mac OS X, as unlike VLC it's supposed to be able to deal with .sub files - and it can! I'd heard bad things about MPlayer on OS X, but I can't see why: it plays the movie with subtitles perfectly, at full screen too (DVI TiBook circa 2002 on 10.3.5)

I'd like to burn in the subtitles for safekeeping if someone can talk me through the steps for ffmpeg, but at least I can watch it now!
    Quote Quote  
  11. ffmpegX does indeed use mplayer to render subtitles. I'll check about your issue on a sample file.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by major
    ffmpegX does indeed use mplayer to render subtitles. I'll check about your issue on a sample file.
    Thanks very much indeed, I really appreciate it Did you want me to send the offending .sub file for example? It's 6.3Mb so not too bad. I'd guess any .avi that you have lying around that has the broad characteristics of mine (see earlier post) would do.
    Quote Quote  
  13. It is not needed that you post your file.
    Quote Quote  
  14. OK, you're the boss. I'll keep checking for your verdict. Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I also would like to know how to do this

I'm on MAC OS X Leopard 10.5.2

I have these files:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 liviu staff 733900800 Feb 15 15:58 dmd-awake.avi
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 liviu staff 291914 Feb 15 16:05 dmd-awake.idx
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 liviu staff 20418560 Feb 15 16:05 dmd-awake.sub

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM