VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK, not exactly. But this is what I'm doing.

I have thousands of images of my daughter in jpg format all with EXIF data intact.

I'm using Vegas 7 (and DVD Architect 4) and dropping all these jpegs onto the timeline (1/2 second a piece) in chronological order. This project will be rendered to DV-AVI for storage on mini-DV and also to mpg for burning onto a DVD for viewing.

I can sort the images into the correct order with no problem.

What I would like to do, in a perfect world, is to extract the date and time from each picture and overlay it, in an unobtrusive manner, onto the image.

Now, I don't know too much about the detailed capabilities of Vegas / DVD Architect. What I do know is that neither manual mentions EXIF data in any way.

Does anyone know how I could do this?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not sure if there is any utility that will do that specifically in video enviroment but you can do it beforehand in batch mode with Exifer or Irfanview. Irfanview is probably the better choice because it's also does many other things, you can for example crop the images in batches to get the right aspect.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks coalman, I've just given irfanview a try and it works pretty well. I would like some more control / options regarding the font, color, transparency etc so I'll have a look at Exifer too.

Shame there seems to be nothing for photoshop. I've already resized these jpgs with a photoshop droplet and it would be nice to process just once. However, if I'm stuck with irfanview then it seems easy and fast enough. Just would like more flexibility.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No there's not whole lot of options, if you're trying to get some nice anti-aliased edges try applying the text to the full sized image. The resizing may soften them a little.

If Photoshop doesn't have that option I'd be suprised if their isn't a plug-in.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Exifer also goes part way towards what I'm looking to do. It also has the added advantage of being able to export all or selected exif data out to a CSV file.

I'll keep messing around and report back if I find a solution. I'm thinking that I should be able to do this with photoshop.

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ulead's DVD MovieFactory 6 Plus will let you create a slideshow. It will also let you generate a subtitle using the filename and/or EXIF data (the subtitle will be switchable to on/off using the DVD Player's subtitle button -- or dvd software show/hide subtitles -- in other words, you do not get a MENU that turns them on/off).

Regards,
    George
    Quote Quote  
  7. Do you know that the latest version of the free DVD slideshow GUI lets you import and overlay exif data onto jpg's and output them in many formats including a ready to burn dvd?

You might even be able to import a avs file from DVD slideshow GUI into Vegas(but I don't know I don't have Vegas)

Quote Quote