VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i am working on a DVR(digital video recorder) apllication which uses a 40 GB hard disk for storing streaming MPEG4 data,as the max file size in FAT32 system cam me 4GB(3.99 GB), and the recording stops at that time, i need some tricks as how to over come this problem and i can't change the file systems(FAT32to NTFS etc)
    someone cn help me how to split and rejoin the streaming video(MPEG4)
    or any other patch, i can't use other software tools also
    if possible help with some codes

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why can't you convert to NTFS? Since you didn't fill in your computer details, I assume it's because you are not using XP....

There's really no way around it. That I know of.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Does your capturing application allow you to split files at 4 gig.?

I use InterVideo MSI PVS (Personal Video Station ) with my card, and that is a default setting with 98SE, have not tried it with 2000 or XP so it may not default there.

I do believe it is not possible to make a larger file with FAT 32 due to 32 bit numbering and cluster size, and think only 28 bits are actually used to count clusters.

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only solution for the FAT32 file size limitation is NTFS.
    "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon." -- Raoul Duke
    Quote Quote  
  5. A couple of choices...

1 - good) Change your OS so that you can use a better file system. FAT32 should not be used for video, you'll regret it soon enough. Both NT/XP/Mac/Linux will work fine.

2 - not so good) Change your capturing application so that it limits capture to less than 4 G.
    Terje A. Bergesen
    Quote Quote