VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    If I wanted to create a DVD that contains links to files in other subdirectories, what is the syntax for designating a root or point of origin like a regular link to a file stored on a local disk, that will be universally recognized regardless of what machine I put the disc in, and regardless of drive letter assigned?

Example:

Say I have an html web layout, with links to graphics stored in subdirectories on the DVD. I can make all my paths read E:\whatever\folder\etc... and that works fine on this particular machine, but what about another machine with the DVD drive assigned a different letter?

What is the proper way of doing this?

edit: This is not a DVD-Video project....data only.
    "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon." -- Raoul Duke
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    blah
    "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon." -- Raoul Duke
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know that working from a command prompt or in DOS you can just specify a path with a leading "\" to mean the root of the current disk.

But if you're working with HTML files the proper way is to use relative links for everything. Instead of specifying href="file:/// ..." you just use href="subdir1/subdir2/file1.html". Use ".." to mean the enclosing directory.
    A man without a woman is like a statue without pigeons.
    Quote Quote  
  4. e:\images\pic.jpg
    the path would then be
    image/pic.jpg
    This assumes of course the html file is in the rot of the disk.

Note the / and NOT a \
    html code should be / always.
    Quote Quote