VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I tried searching the archives and articles on this site and only got more confused. What's the most painless (or least expensive) way to convert the old HD DVD formatted discs to the new Blu-Ray?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've used Ripbot264 to convert many of my HD-DVD's to blueray. I burn them on DVD+R D/L disks. I looked at your computer details and there not upto the job of converting HD/BR.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The "easiest" way I have found is to do a realtime dub with the hauppauge hd pvr 1212.

I have the xbox 360 hd-dvd add on device. What i have done is a realtime dub via component cables and fiber optic audio out to record to m2ts files. I get full hd this way. Whatever my xbox outputs is recorded in the hdpvr (though I don't know for sure if the hauppauge hd pvr 1212 does full 1080p - certainly 1080i - the xbox 360 does 1080p of course).

This is realtime dubbing so you get a fully useable file after its finished playing.

Ripbot264 also works. I have done that for some of mine also. However it is time consuming. First you have to have a hd-dvd rom on your computer and rip with anydvd hd (must be the high def version). Then you can convert to mkv with ripbot264 as wulf109 suggests.

Converting to 1280x720 with 5.1 on my amd 2.7ghz dual core pc takes about 16 hours. THats a good bench mark to look for with a 2 hour movie and no extras.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Why would you want to re-encode the video, when HD-DVD codecs are compatible with Blu-ray ones (except mpeg audio)?

You can use multiAVCHD and load your FEATURE_1.EVO (or any other .evo file), then you'll get Blu-ray structure (or AVCHD) to burn/play on your blu-ray player / ps3.

Dean
    Laugh and the world will laugh with you. Cry and you will be alone
    Quote Quote