VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a Philips dvp630, and the player can’t play some movies I downloaded with the extension hdtv.avi.

I open the file with GSPOT 2.52 and the movie hasn’t GMC OR QPEL. The movie was encoded in xvid and everything seams normal.

The player menu shows a red Question Mark ( ? ) instead of the usual MPG4 symbol and cant play the movie.

I had to re-encode the movies with virtual dub to watch them.

Anyone knows what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I would guess that the resolution and/or bitrate of the movies is too high for the player to handle. It has to have an upper limit as it onl;y has so much processing power to decode and display the movies.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have this player, but IO Data is the only manufacturer I know of that has a DVD player than can play high def DivX files. Not to be rude, but is there a reason you thought this would work other than just assuming so? Yes, the resolution is too high and it is not supported on any Philips DVD player to the best of my knowledge. Philips uses a chipset to decode DivX video that doesn't support resolutions greater than 720x576.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The reason the Philips can’t play the hdtv.avi movies isn’t the high resolution.
    I can guarantee this because the original movie was 640 x 352 with 1057 kbps.

I re-encoded the original movie in virtualdub using the same 1057 kbps.

So I know for sure that the problem isn’t the resolution and isn’t the bitrate either.

That’s the reason I’m asking here this question, because the original movie is an HDTV caption encoded in Xvid, with 640 x 352, 1057 kbps, without QPEL OR GMC!

I attach the gspot 2.52 information of the two files; maybe some of you can detect anything I couldn’t.

HDTV MOVIE :

REENCODED MOVIE:

Thanks again …
    Quote Quote  
  5. just spotted this post which may solve your problem!
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is also alot of information on the DVP642 issues here: https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=272969
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote