VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am looking into buying a divx player. I like the Philips dv642, but a few things I dont like, It can only read 8 character files names. I am looking for a divx player that can dvds with mp3s, and long file names. I am not sure if there is any way to get long file names on the philips. Can anyone recomend me the best player.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000AN5DT0/qid=1126298234/sr=8-1/ref=sr_...onics&n=507846

Features:

Plays Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,0 PAL or NTSC
    DIVX Player/DVD/Super VCD/ Video CD/ CD DVD Player
    Works any where in the World 110/220v
    WMA/Mp3 Compatible
    Best Pal To NTSC Conversion GOOD QUALITY!

AVOID DAMN PHILIPS .I returned mine (bought it from amazon)) to Wal-Mart and got the ILO-DVD04.The philips player comes with 3 months warranty ONLY,so its not made to last more than 6 or if u are lucky 8 months.check the reviews on Amzon.com. The new buyers give the player 5 stars ,and if u read the bad reviews the 1st sentence u will read "player died after 4 months"player died after 6 or 8 months,,,,,"
    Quote Quote  
  3. a modded xbox gotta love xbox media center, and because its open source, its continually updated. Always has the latest codecs, I really wish most dvd player companies would upgrade their firmware as often as dvd-writer companies do. Even if i buy the new xbox when it comes out, i'm still keeping this one for a media centre.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dude do you mind giving me a fair guide to mod an xbox. I am a newbee and am frustrated by most dvd players....
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. The Philips DVP 5106K/97 is supposed to be the upgrade version of the DVP 642K with additional features like the GMC and QPel support, WMA support, 12 bit/108MHz video, Xvid support (mentioned in the manual and website) and internal software upgrades like long character filename support, additional subtitles support, 32x Fast Forward etc.
    Everything else is just like the old DVP 642. I purchased this player before a few days and it's got all the features of the DVP 642 + more. Also, it's the same price as the DVP 642.
    More details of this player can be found on india.philips.com
    Quote Quote  
  6. 3 months warranty like the old one?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Wonder when that model will hit Stateside?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Philips DVP 5500s is as far as I see it almost perfect price/performance wise. Excellent picture (on a normal TV, would love to try it on a big screen), great sound (Matrix Revolutions never sounded so good), all the features and divx (not ESS Vibrato). But from what Im reading you guys always concentrate on the 640. So I assume that it is simply not available where you are?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by archimage
    The Philips DVP 5106K/97 is supposed to be the upgrade version of the DVP 642K with additional features like the GMC and QPel support, WMA support, 12 bit/108MHz video, Xvid support (mentioned in the manual and website) and internal software upgrades like long character filename support, additional subtitles support, 32x Fast Forward etc.
    Everything else is just like the old DVP 642. I purchased this player before a few days and it's got all the features of the DVP 642 + more. Also, it's the same price as the DVP 642.
    More details of this player can be found on india.philips.com
    Went to the site does mention Xvid but does not mention GMC and Qpel. Should I assume you have done tests throughly and it plays all versions of Xvid?
    thanks
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No current chipsets support 3 warp point GMC. Therefor no current players support XviD with GMC.

qpel is supported by numerous chips.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "AVOID DAMN PHILIPS .I returned mine (bought it from amazon)) to Wal-Mart and got the ILO-DVD04.The philips player comes with 3 months warranty ONLY,so its not made to last more than 6 or if u are lucky 8 months.check the reviews on Amzon.com. The new buyers give the player 5 stars ,and if u read the bad reviews the 1st sentence u will read "player died after 4 months"player died after 6 or 8 months,,,,,"

Hmmm...mine says I purchased it on 10/22/2004 and it's still going strong. I guess I'm just lucky *again* like my Panasonic E80H not having any problems either...
    Quote Quote  
  12. I purchased 2 Phillips DVP642's on July 1/04; one for myself and the other for my girlfriend. Mine is still going strong, but hers died 2 days ago. Eh, but then she smokes and has 3 cats in her house.

Now I've got to find her a new DivX/XviD compatible player because I've been getting her to convert all of her tvv caps to avi's. Sigh.

Tom
    Quote Quote