VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. hello. I've come into a strange type of problem, that in my windows pc, mp3's doesnt recognised as audio format, especially on win Media player 12. On other apps I doesnt
    have problem. I have the K-Lite codecs, and I cant find the mp3 as codec on settings. So that I want is to re-enable the mp3 as format, without reseting any other type
    of media onto my windows sytem. Only mp3. Can I get it happen ?
    Last edited by DVDLover00; 17th Mar 2023 at 15:56. Reason: false
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by DVDLover00 View Post
    hello. I've come into a strange type of problem, that in my windows pc, mp3's doesnt recognised as audio format, especially on win Media player 12. On other apps I doesnt
    have problem. I have the K-Lite codecs, and I cant find the mp3 as codec on settings. So that I want is to re-enable the mpeg-3 as format, without reseting any other type
    What OS, version?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by ProWo View Post
    Originally Posted by DVDLover00 View Post
    hello. I've come into a strange type of problem, that in my windows pc, mp3's doesnt recognised as audio format, especially on win Media player 12. On other apps I doesnt
    have problem. I have the K-Lite codecs, and I cant find the mp3 as codec on settings. So that I want is to re-enable the mpeg-3 as format, without reseting any other type
    What OS, version?
    well, is on my PC specs. Anyway i'm on w10 and running the 21H2 version.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    WMP has mp3 decoding built-in, so as long as it recognizes it, it should not be a problem. Perhaps,
    1. they aren't MP3s after all?
    2. they are MP3s, but are using wrong file extension (make sure you can see extensions). BTW "MP3" = Mpeg1,Layer3 or Mpeg2, Layer3. NOT mpeg3 (which does not exist). The correct extension should simply be ".MP3".
    3. you have proper MP3 extensions, but are trying to open them through file association, but your associations are messed up. Go to [ Settings | Apps | Default Apps ] and use "Choose default apps by file type" or "Set defaults by app" and scroll down to MP3, then choose your app. This shouldn't even matter if you attempt to open via the app itself and the file extension is already correct.

Other than that, you may have gunked up your computer enough to need re-imaging. Just checked my setup which is equivalent to yours and have no issue with WMP playing MP3s, but then I don't use K-Lite codec packs (hardly necessary anymore, and in the past have been known to cause more harm than good, IMO).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    WMP has mp3 decoding built-in, so as long as it recognizes it, it should not be a problem. Perhaps,
    1. they aren't MP3s after all?
    2. they are MP3s, but are using wrong file extension (make sure you can see extensions). BTW "MP3" = Mpeg1,Layer3 or Mpeg2, Layer3. NOT mpeg3 (which does not exist). The correct extension should simply be ".MP3".
    3. you have proper MP3 extensions, but are trying to open them through file association, but your associations are messed up. Go to [ Settings | Apps | Default Apps ] and use "Choose default apps by file type" or "Set defaults by app" and scroll down to MP3, then choose your app. This shouldn't even matter if you attempt to open via the app itself and the file extension is already correct.

Other than that, you may have gunked up your computer enough to need re-imaging. Just checked my setup which is equivalent to yours and have no issue with WMP playing MP3s, but then I don't use K-Lite codec packs (hardly necessary anymore, and in the past have been known to cause more harm than good, IMO).

Scott
    yes, I messed about mpeg and mp3 format. Anyway the problem isnt that the file extension is wrong, all of course is .mp3 on my pc. But, before some days, I messed with some plugins
    onto WMP and some was problematic, so caused problems at mp3's etc.. Also I needed K-lite codecs to enable x265 codec, that windows itself didnt provided, so is not necessary to say that is useless
    One thing that I noticed also on mp3 files, when playing onto my library, progress bar dont move anymore, and I can't skip forward or backward in the song also.
    i readed that was an common problem many times, and really happend to me sometime long ago, but it get fixed itself. In today's problem, wmp doesnt seem to
    go back to normal.
    Last edited by DVDLover00; 17th Mar 2023 at 16:25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    MS offers HEVC (aka h265) for free via their MS Store. In fact most real recent builds have it already installed. So it IS unnecessary!

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Sorry beeing stupid. I'm not on good mood this days.
    Reply to Scott; you're right. But I unistalled ms store when I upgraded to win 10, and i have to use it from ..
    Well, I just de-bloaded w10, as today's guys de-bloating w11.
    For wmp, maybe it's just behaving that way the app itself, and since i don't want to uninstall it,
    I'll leave it as it is. Αlso I've checked, and I dont have problems with other audio types.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by DVDLover00; 17th Mar 2023 at 18:00.
    Quote Quote