VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search PM
    I had tried MediaCoder. It was not very efficient. For instance I set AAC to convert to AC3, and it completed without error. My dvd player plays AC3 files, it said unsupported audio codec. Is it possible and if so to change a/r to look better from dled files. Is it possible to change channel from 2 to 5.1 from dled files? If so which program do you recommend to be the most efficient? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Start with the original file and check it with MediaInfo. It generally gives the correct information.

AC3 compatibility depends on the settings it was encoded with. But the codec should have been correct. But it could be Dolby, 7.1 channels or other. MediaInfo would tell you.

A/R (Aspect Ratio?) is usually read by the encoder. It could just be a flag and incorrect. But some encoding programs let you adjust it manually.

Change audio from stereo to surround sound 7.1? Not likely. Nothing there to work with. 7.1 to stereo, your player can usually downmix that.

And I'm guessing you are trying to make a DVD compatible file? Try AVStoDVD. DL'd files from the internet may be trash to start with. GIGO.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Start with the original file and check it with MediaInfo. It generally gives the correct information.

AC3 compatibility depends on the settings it was encoded with. But the codec should have been correct. But it could be Dolby, 7.1 channels or other. MediaInfo would tell you.

A/R (Aspect Ratio?) is usually read by the encoder. It could just be a flag and incorrect. But some encoding programs let you adjust it manually.

Change audio from stereo to surround sound 7.1? Not likely. Nothing there to work with. 7.1 to stereo, your player can usually downmix that.

And I'm guessing you are trying to make a DVD compatible file? Try AVStoDVD. DL'd files from the internet may be trash to start with. GIGO.
    Your guess is close. Thanks for the reply btw. My player plays .avi, which will soon be over when I get a PC. Most files I dl are good, not great. Some have nice a/r, some have 5.1. I am just curious if the only available file only comes in 2 channels. Why then does MediaCoder give the options in audio/video to change to AC3 or 5.1, or change the a/r. Is that not "true". I dl'd TX264. It seems to have good reviews. Will that do the trick. I just want to be able to listen to movies that are dled in 2 channels in 5.1, if that's not possible, then no big deal. However someone who posts the movie, must now how to encode it that way, b/c sometimes they are and not.

Also had checked both files previously with Media info. Both said Ac3, one worked perfect, the other not at all.
    Quote Quote