VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Child of God
    Search Comp PM
    My brother wants to download torrent files on his PC. He used to try Azureus, but it never worked for him. He's tried both uTorrent and TorrentFinder, which work fine, only they keep making his computer restart off and on. Any idea what the problem is or how to fix it? I'm beginning to wonder if this is the computer, not the program.
    "They will walk after the LORD, He will roar like a lion; indeed He will roar and His sons will come trembling from the west." - Hosea 11:10
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Torrents huh. I wonder how long it will be before you're back asking for help with viruses on you brother's PC.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Broadband ? If so, USB or ethernet connection
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Connectivity issue, I'd bet.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Child of God
    Search Comp PM
    Broadband, high speed cable.

When it force-restarts, after its booted up and all it displays a message that the 'just recovered from a serious error' or something. It says nothing of a virus attack, nor does the actual virus protection on the computer. Its been running much more smoothly lately. Is it possible it just doesn't like saving things to Drive D? It originally downloaded to Drive C and seemed fine, but just about anytime something is set to save into Drive D, it seems this problem rears its ugly head again. If its not that or connectivity I can only assume it may be that specific torrents or either not compatible or have virus traps and the computer protects itself by force restarting, but that seems like a stretch.
    I also noticed, if its of any help, that the program seems a lot more pleasant after an automatic add-on just called DNA was deleted. Its purpose, supposedly, was to speed up the downloads, but it hasn't seemed to make a difference that its gone when it comes to download speeds. The torrent program is BitTorrent 6.1.1, if that matters.

Help would be greatly appreciated.
    "They will walk after the LORD, He will roar like a lion; indeed He will roar and His sons will come trembling from the west." - Hosea 11:10
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SCDVD
    Torrents huh. I wonder how long it will be before you're back asking for help with viruses on you brother's PC.
    Using torrents for ~7 years here (basically from begining when I first read about it).
    Not 1 virus ever 'caught'.
    Its what you download and share, not the way you do it...

@OP
    Both clients you've mentioned have options to "shutdown" or "restart" or "logoff" after tasks are completed.
    Perhaps that's what you have set there.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Child of God
    Search Comp PM
    When I pull down the options menu under auto shutdown it says it is set to disabled.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jeikobu
    When I pull down the options menu under auto shutdown it says it is set to disabled.
    Then there must be something else, perhaps not even torrent-clients related.
    One of the "most popular problems" that occur with uTorrent (which is not a problem in itself but a Windoze's own problem rather) is that if you don't limit the amount of memory torrents can use on a computer with some puny amount of RAM (say 512MB or less), specially when you are downloading large block size torrents and many of them at once, it may quickly run out of memory and Windoze XP or Vista loves to crash or reboot at such moment... same can happen when you have plenty of disk-thrashing and no more space on the drive where windoze has its paging file, and at 1000 of other possibilities.
    Since you are Mac user I suggest you read a bit about Windoze torrent clients and configure them correctly.
    And lets not forget this may be entirely torrent-unrelated problem on his computer since it is Windoze

I'm using uTorrent and it never created any problem on my Windoze PC, haven't ever used Azureus though (I just avoid any Java-based Windows software since it is so unreliable, buggy and full of holes).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Child of God
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah the PC has Windows XP. I've tried uTorrent and it doesn't make a difference, it still crashes the same way. You may be onto something about the memory. Since I'm still rather new to torrents I am not familiar with a lot of the tricks, info bits, and operating procedures. Is there any way I can easily find out and fix it?

btw, I should've thought to mention this sooner but I'm Jeikobu's brother who's posted replies 2 and on using this account. Jeikobu just gave me permission to go ahead and do so, so... :P I tend to go by Crossdive.

P.S. do you know of a site that can tell me what my connection speed should be set to? The place it recommends doesn't exactly explain things the way I need them for the torrent settings.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @dereX888 : I have used uTorrent for several years and never experienced this 'memory problem'.

I have seen USB based modems cause this type of behaviour though, especially under the type of connection load that torrents can create.

However if it is only happening when you write to a specific drive then I would suggest that is where your problem lies. It has nothing at all to do with the actual torrent files themselves.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Child of God
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, I'm not sure if the drive thing is the cause or not. It was just an idea. I'm basically trying to give you guys everything I can think of to work with, since I have very little knowledge. ^_^"" Maybe that is a good test, though; if I try downloading only to C and nothing is going loony tunes on me, it may be the solution to this riddle.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Right-click on My Computer and select Properties. Click on the Advanced Tab, then under Startup and Recovery. click Settings. Untick Automatically Restart, then click OK and OK again. Now when it crashes it will stop on the BSOD and give you the stop code and hopefully a message. The code will look like 0x000000 and then some digits. We need the code and the message.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by guns1inger
    @dereX888 : I have used uTorrent for several years and never experienced this 'memory problem'.
    Just in my favorite uTorrent if you didn't cap its automatic cache size it could fill your memory. It was corrected later and now it does try not to exceed some values, but it is still better if you limit it manually to the amount more suitable to your memory usage patterns, even if you have 4GB of RAM. It happens quick when its downloading many large block size torrents at once, ie few large high-def videos with block sizes of 2MB each or more with many different incoming block in the same time - they all are 'started' in the RAM and 'wait' there until they are 'completed' and finished block can be written to disk. But if you limit memory amount to too little, it will start disk thrashing with constant writes too, so it all depends.
    I used to use my old box for P2Ps, and I noticed that on my own example because it just had not enough memory (mere 256) and after few crashes I found out this to be the reason. After limiting utorrent's cache to 32MB and moving its temp and target locations to 2nd drive I had no more problems.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have been running utorrent on xp with only 256Mb ram.
    it works flawlessy and i have over 1Tb of material downloaded.

its connected to a router over ethernet but was previuosly on a usb modem to broadband. works everytime.

sorry i cant tell you why yours doesnt work tho......
    but it can work.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Child of God
    Search Comp PM
    I followed your intructions, guns1inger, so we'll see how it goes. Thanks.

As for setting a memory limit, I don't know exactly what I should set mine at, so I may have to find that out before I can consider that concept.

I appreciate all of the help you all have been giving a lot, thanks. ^_^
    Quote Quote