VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to enhance the documentary that Joey Diaz made called "Joey Diaz - Where I Got My Balls From" view IMDB here: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8690180/

The documentary was made and released in 2012, if you click on the attached view, you will see a lot of noise + deinterlace problems.

Joey Diaz - Where I Got My Balls From (2012) clip.mp4

What can I do to make the video look better and remove deinterlace? I already have Hybrid but would Topaz Video Enhance AI help? Any help is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No doubt that others will disagree with me but

1. The video. as it stands is not interlaced (it probably was originally. See below). So that being the case you can not simply de-interlace.
    2. I do not see the "noise" you refer to. Of course if you are playing this on a large screen it will not look good due to the frame size and low bitrate.
    3. Methinks the original source was VHS and whoever created this version simply cropped away 6 pixels (head switching noise) to leave the vertical at 474 from the original 480. Now if this crop was done before converting to progressive then interlacing artifacts will be present. Like I said, I do not see them but others might but it might not so easy to correct.
    4. We have 16:9 widescreen but I suspect that the original really was 4:3 since faces, bodies really do look stretched. That can be corrected if others agree.
    Last edited by DB83; 17th May 2022 at 16:14. Reason: added more comments
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    No doubt that others will disagree with me but

1. The video. as it stands is not interlaced (it probably was originally. See below). So that being the case you can not simply de-interlace.
    2. I do not see the "noise" you refer to. Of course if you are playing this on a large screen it will not look good due to the frame size and low bitrate.
    3. Methinks the original source was VHS and whoever created this version simply cropped away 6 pixels (head switching noise) to leave the vertical at 474 from the original 480. Now if this crop was done before converting to progressive then interlacing artifacts will be present. Like I said, I do not see them but others might but it might not so easy to correct.
    4. We have 16:9 widescreen but I suspect that the original really was 4:3 since faces, bodies really do look stretched. That can be corrected if others agree.
    The full documentary can be viewed at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRPUQiP7pk4

I used yt-dlp to download the highest quality resolution + audio since this is the only site, I can find the documentary. It is available on Prime Video, but I do not have a US Amazon account.

If you look closely at the video, you can see noise + scan-lines, was hoping there was a way to remove this with Hybrid or using Topaz Video Enhance AI but thank you for your feedback.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I took a closer look at the sample and, on reflection, there are interlacing artifacts during fast horizontal movements. Someome more familiar with the reasons for this might expalin since no resizing appears to have taken place.

I did download the full video. YT can only deal with what it receives. You start with a bad-egg and you end with one. In fact the bit-rate for the sample is better than the overall bit-rate of the whole. But sine reports only give avg results then that is no measuement of real quality.

Amazon do not typically screw up on AR. But it just looks wrong which makes me think that what was uploaded to YT never originated from Amazon.

Like I already stated, there may be ways to deal with the 'burnt-in interlacing'.

But what you may be experiencing, and still due to the low bit-rate, is not noise but blocky artifacts.

I have no knowledge of this docu so what follows is pure speculation. Docu is transmitted on tv and recorded to VHS - no other reason to crop 6 pixels from the frame. VHS is then transfered to DVD (hence the 4:2:0 chroma sub-sampling not present on native NTSC recording). That DVD is then ripped and transfered to mp4 with the said cropping and crazy bit-rate. MP4 then uploaded to YT.

I can not deal with the burnt-in interlacing. But I can, if my suspicion is correct, deal with the AR and work towards a better visual appearance with a correct AR and more bit-rate (but that can never be totally achieved since you can never get back what has been taken out)

So what follows is just a simple resize more friendly to larger displays. Plus more bit-rate using an AVC encoding at CRF 20. I would assume that increasing the frame will also increase the bit-rate with this method.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Vertical resizing while interlaced has caused the two fields to partially blend together. About the best you can do is blur what's left of them together. Try something like:

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("Joey Diaz - Where I Got My Balls From (2012) clip.mp4", cache=false, prefer_hw=2) 
    AddBorders(0,0,0,6)
    SeparateFields()
    AssumeFrameBased()
    QTGMC(InputType=2)
    AssumeFieldBased()
    Weave()
    QTGMC(InputType=2)
    Santiag()
    Spline36Resize(640,height)
    Last edited by jagabo; 17th May 2022 at 23:11.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Vertical resizing while interlaced has caused the two fields to partially blend together. About the best you can do is blur what's left of them together. Try something like:

Code:
    LWLibavVideoSource("Joey Diaz - Where I Got My Balls From (2012) clip.mp4", cache=false, prefer_hw=2) 
    AddBorders(0,0,0,6)
    SeparateFields()
    AssumeFrameBased()
    QTGMC(InputType=2)
    AssumeFieldBased()
    Weave()
    QTGMC(InputType=2)
    Santiag()
    Spline36Resize(640,height)
    Thank you for the code, how would I import this avisynth config into Hybrid?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've never used Hybrid but a quick search turned up https://forum.selur.net/thread-1801.html with some instructions.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Is it really worth the effort? I mean that video is also available on Amazon Prime (https://www.amazon.com/Where-I-Got-My-Balls/dp/B008D03OWK) from what I can tell and that might be a better source,...
    users currently on my ignore list: deadrats, Stears555
    Quote Quote  
  9. I just tried to check it out on Amazon Prime and got this, "This video is currently unavailable to watch in your location"

I found that odd as I'm in the US.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Got the same thing, but I'm in Germany, so I suspected that it's because of that. My point was, that the youtube reencode probably isn't the only/best available source out there and instead of trying to fix that reencode looking for a better version might be worth the effort.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well there is a 'better' version on YT. Now goes to 720p with a claim to be "remastered"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8kXoUnau7Q

But the production is still weird. The newer footage looks stretched so people look fatter than they should be yet older footage looks right. Maybe the interlacing issue has also been sorted.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Is it really worth the effort? I mean that video is also available on Amazon Prime (https://www.amazon.com/Where-I-Got-My-Balls/dp/B008D03OWK) from what I can tell and that might be a better source,...
    As I said in the beginning thread, I can't watch the upload on prime since I am not in the states and another user said he can't watch it as well and he is in the states...so I don't even know how to do that
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well there is a 'better' version on YT. Now goes to 720p with a claim to be "remastered"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8kXoUnau7Q

But the production is still weird. The newer footage looks stretched so people look fatter than they should be yet older footage looks right. Maybe the interlacing issue has also been sorted.
    Uploader said "The video was interlaced and low quality so I de-interlaced the video and AI upscaled it."

Click image for larger version

Name:	5wD25BQRn.png
Views:	47
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	64857
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That YT video is definitely botched. The dark scene where the chap is talking to the audience is OK but all the other clips are 4:3 that has been stretched to 16:9.
    Quote Quote  
  15. But botched aspect ratio is easier to fix than botched deinterlacing,..
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is what I think it should look like (first 10 minutes). I've made the outside-scenes video 4:3 and left the speech video and titles "as is", all in a 1280x720 16:9 frame. Did this is my video editor.

They have fixed the interlacing (Jagabo's at the bottom):
    [Attachment 64865 - Click to enlarge]
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Alwyn; 19th May 2022 at 03:21.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I only saw the short clip from the first post before. Looking at the youtube video it does appear to be a mix of 4:3 (stretched to 16:9) and true 16:9 material. So it makes sense to pillarbox the 4:3 sections.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Buying the video for 5 USD and getting a version that wasn't reencoded by YouTube might even give better results, but the remastered version is better to deal with than the first link.

Cu Selur

Ps.: I agree adding black bars is the way to go.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Selur View Post
    Buying the video for 5 USD and getting a version that wasn't reencoded by YouTube might even give better results, but the remastered version is better to deal with than the first link.

Cu Selur

Ps.: I agree adding black bars is the way to go.
    Joey Diaz's tweet said the movie can also be bought from here https://store.payloadz.com/go/?id=1016064 and yes you are right it is $5 USD.

Description of the movie says:
    There are two files available to download. The one labeled HQ is the higher quality and LQ is a lower quality video. There's no difference in the content at all. Also, neither video is over 1 GB but they could take 30 minutes or more to download depending on your internet speed.
    EDIT:
    Just bought the movie

Name:	5wHAMKBm3.png
Views:	39
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	64879
    Last edited by bidasci; 19th May 2022 at 16:37.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The "remastered" YT version comes in at 468 mb. Even with my slow internet download took < 5 mins and less tha $5 USD. Sorry Joey

But as others have confirmed, whatever version you get you will probably have to re-edit it to get the AR right. Unless you are prepared to ignore this fault.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    All right both movies are done downloading, the low quality and the high-quality version.

I used mediainfo on the high quality version and here is the log: https://p.teknik.io/Tbgr5

Both movies are encoded in a QuickTime format (.mov)

I have uploaded a clip of the movie here in case you want to see the original movie and not a reupload (Avidemux would not open the mov container, so I had to use Adobe Media Encoder to only export a clip of the movie. I did not add any effects to the output clip).

Clip: joey_diaz_where_i_got_my_balls_from_hq_clip.mp4
    Last edited by bidasci; 19th May 2022 at 17:30.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1. Not a true copy of what you downloaded. Compare the two in mediainfo.

2. Odd slight borders top and bottom which might now explain the 'odd' frame size in the original YT version.

3. Burnt-in interlacing is still present.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1. Not a true copy of what you downloaded. Compare the two in mediainfo.
    What do you mean "not a true copy of what I downloaded"?

Name:	qgksjlP.png
Views:	43
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	64881

I downloaded the .mov from the link I received in the email and since avidemux can't open the movie since it's a .mov container I had to use Adobe Media Encoder and I don't know if I am allowed to upload the full movie here since that will count as piracy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No one is asking you to upload the whole download. I was refering to the various settings comparing the download of your extract.

And I do have AVC wrapped in a .mov container that avidemux will open. So another example of the 'quirkiness' of this download.

IMHO The only improvement you now have over the intial YT is the bitrate. Remove those borders, probably created by the less-common vertical resolution of 486 pixels (which hold no picture information) and you end up with a frame even more stretched than the initial one (864 pixels against 854). Again the capture device might have outputed that to maintain the 16:9 DAR.

So you do have, marginally, a better quality version but still need to deal with the interlacing - which could also be caused by the capture device - and the AR.

But 5 bucks is no fortune so, I guess, it was worth the risk.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, that's a shocker, still burnt-in interlacing and stretched video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The clip is now much 'closer' to the original download. Bitrate appears higher and the audio is the wrong codec but these do not really matter. And this one actually loads in to avidemux.

But maybe you should comment on the download inasmuch about your original issue (interlacing) and what has been pointed out to you AR-wise.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The clip is now much 'closer' to the original download. Bitrate appears higher and the audio is the wrong codec but these do not really matter. And this one actually loads in to avidemux.

But maybe you should comment on the download inasmuch about your original issue (interlacing) and what has been pointed out to you AR-wise.
    I used Davinci Resolve to export the clip and these were the export settings I used:

Name:	5wN2AjOu7.png
Views:	48
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	64893
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by bidasci View Post
    I hope this is a better clip

[Attachment 64883 - Click to enlarge]
    You have been scammed
    Quote Quote