VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. During potplayer installation, it asks to install additional codec (OpenCodec). Should i leave this option checked? I wonder what it does or is it necessary? What are your thoughts on this one. Please Help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by IndyKid View Post
    I wonder what it does or is it necessary?
    PotPlayer Codec Pack (OpenCodec)

The PotPlayer Codec Pack had been included in a distribution package before but it was separated while launching a global version to avoid license issues. If not installed, PotPlayer won't decode AAC/AAC LATM/AC3/EAC3/TrueHD/MLP/DTS and some functions won't work at all.
    Source: http://codecpack.co/download/PotPlayer.html

See here also: https://goo.gl/ic3w2c
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for this useful information!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I allow PotPlayer to install any CODECS it asks and also GPU based CODECS for video playback, never had it fail on any video no matter how obscure or weird. Plus I also use LAVFilters as Microsoft codecs suck big time

I've always avoided the mega CODECS add-ons as they can cause more headaches then they fix. POtPlayer seems to install only CODECS that are stable and work. If you have already installed CODECS packs from other sources it does causes also sorts of problems when conflicting CODECS don't really know whats happening and argue with each other
    how to play something correctly

I've used PotPlayer for years as it works, and plays nicely with LAVFilters that I also use
    Quote Quote  
  5. The PotPlayer Codec Pack(OpenCodec) doesn't seem to install "system" codecs, so it's not a "codec pack" in the traditional sense. It simply copies a few extra dlls to the Potplayer/Module folder for Potplayer itself to use.
    Quote Quote